Oh what a night!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry...just have to vent. I got home from work tonight and dicovered a crack in our upstairs toilet tank. Of course, water was pooled on the floor and who know how long the tank had be leaking and filling during the course of the day. No problem...mop up the mess, shut off the water to the tank and empty it. Then I go downstairs and notice both my large reef and nano reef are not "running". Something caused the breaker to trip and both tanks were at a stand-still. The temp...a very chilly 63 degrees! it must have tripped sometime during the night. I checked before going to bed last night and all was good. But a 17 degree temp decrease takes a while with the amount of water volume involved. Fish and mobile inverts look okay. Corals are a bit stressed. I will raise the temp slowly and hope for the best...keepping my fingures crossed.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you got it cleaned up OK. Do you think the two accidents were related? Maybe the bathroom water leaked down onto the tank outlets? Luckily the breaker tripped before more damage could occur.

Sounds bad, hope your fish and corals turn out to be all right.

Was it actually your toilet tank that leaked or do you have a decorative fish tank on your toilet? :D

Agree with An t-iasg... I'd look into what tripped that breaker more. That just seems too coincidental. A little water from a toilet (or a pin hole leak in a ice cube maker water line, in my case) can go an awful long way. You might want to pull that outlet your tanks are plugged in to and see if you can feel/see any water damage in the wall in that area.

Hope everything come back OK.

Maybe the bathroom water leaked down onto the tank outlets? Luckily the breaker tripped before more damage could occur.

This is exactly what I thought. Too coincidental to just both happen a the same time w/out some sort of relation. How did your toilet tank crack?

Sorry to hear about your rough night and I hope everything turns out okay.

Wow, just hang in there. Hopefully everything will be ok!

Wow...thanks everyone. The tank is doing okay. It is up to 79 as of this evening. Looks like I have lost two crocea clams and some of my SPS corals are looking rough but may pull through. All other corals, fish and inverts seem okay so that is good.

I thought about the water causing the breaker to trip and the coincidence of the two. However, I see no water damage in the basement ceiling so I do not think the leak in the toilet tank was too bad. But who knows. The breaker has been fine since. I guess I will just keep an eye on things. My father-in-law is a retired electrician and is coming tomorrow to check things out. He also picked up a toilet tank for me and will install that as well. Thanks for the thoughts!

So sorry for all your troubles. It does seem coincidental but could very well be coincidental. Hope the breaker holds on, lucky you have an electrician in the family.

Wow Brian, sorry to hear about your clams. I know you went through a rough event not long ago and I know how much this must bug the crap out of you. I hope everything else pulls through.

Hi Brian. Sorry to hear about the clams. Keep an eye on the sps too. Just give it time and you'll have the tank back better than it was.

Thanks again everyone. I do feel somewhat fortunate...not too long ago I added some pretty spendy Aussie Acan Lords and Aussie Duncans...both seem to be recovering nicely. Believe it or not I am pretty thankful...it could have been worse, I guess.

Thanks Ellisz! I have chalked it up to "the price of admission" for keeping reef tanks but it still sucks. Things are looking up now however.

Water will always be an issue. When I set up the 180, I did not put carpet under it. I don't know how ofter I have got water on the floor in the sump room either. Good thing concrete does not care. Losing livestock sucks though.

Ya know...I think the carpet under my tank is the worst thing. My new stand has a poly-carbonate bottom with 1/2in legs. It would sure be a lot easier to clean up without the darn carpet under it.

In my last house, I had to cut the carpet out around the tank due to a drain getting clogged and getting the carpet wet under the stand. When I sold the house, I had a company come out and patch the carpet with a 4ft x 2ft section of spare carpet. You could not tell the it had ever been cut. :)

Back
Top Bottom