Ohh Poop .. Not today.. Will he be ok???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I come down stairs this morining and am kinda sleepwalking through getting ready etc... when I notce an orange dart in my tank so I look a little closer and crap my clowns are going crazy. Well it seems that the Haddoni they host in decided last night he wanted to eat the intake of my FLuval 404.. you know just the little pipe with the little plastic filter on the end. He decided to go for a walk I guess and then just attack this poor defenseless filter intake. The funny thing is is he has it crammed down his mouth and is folded up around it almost completley and his stalk is huge with little to no carpet part showing.. So I say ohhh crap I have a big presentation this morning and really didn't have time to mess with it but I tried pulling it out after I umplugged it.. No Dice.. So I tried to grab at the stalk to mabye move the anonme a bit.. the little freak attached himself (quite well I might add) to the rock by the intake and I couldn't budge him.. Well I had to go to work... and I didn't wanna rip him off the intake for fear of damaging him. He dosen't look ripped in any way and he really dosen't have tenticles (you know he is a carpet they are what an eighth of an inch long) and there is no impeller to shred him if he does get caught in there somehow ... So do you think ...

A) He will figure out his latest victim is a piece of plastic and let it go himself.

B) I am gonna have to go home after work and giving him 10 hrs to unhook himself and have to get involved

C) He will be dead

D) Other please explain..

Actual results will be posted later tonight..

Thanks
Doan

Ohhh and just a little more info.. I have had him for months and he is healthy as a horse and bigger than a dinner plate he about doubled in size since I've had him. I am just wary if getting ivovled and doing damge to him if he might be able to unhook himself.. Why he walked ... hmmm dunno.. he has been in the one spot for a couple of months now what inspired all this I will never know..

Doan

If you left the 404 off then he will probally let go and find something else to attack. If not then he will probally stay there and might possibly die. :cry: I hope things work out, I keep a spare intake strainer around so if one gets frisky :roll: , I can just drop the intake strainer off, put the new one on and let him get hisself out of the mess he got into. :roll:

I've become a pretty big fan of the pre-filter sponges these days. I've had too many critters sucked into intakes. The pre-filter sponges diffuse the suction enough that things don't really get sucked INTO the intakes.

I agree with gerald, if you shut the fluval off it's probably your best bet to let him try and get himself off of it. And I like his idea of simply disconnecting the plastic guard and putting a new one on. THis way you can turn the filter back on while your Haddoni chews on the other guard.

hope everything works out.

I came home he was unhooked from the filter and fine... he has changed positions though he is kinda filling in the little valley I had between two rocks leading up to the old intake and now looks more like a flower facing up spread out on the tops of the rocks as opposed to how he used to look kinda running parallel to the front of the tank spread along the side of the rocks. I am happy I did a big water change (mostly cause I needed the water for another tank I am setting up) and all is well..

Thanks for the help guys

Doan

my carpet decided to commit suicide the same way, repeatedly. Finally, it did him in.....this was after being content and happy in the same place for 8 months.

Well since I was setting up a new tank anyway and was taking the old filter off to put on the new tank and using the new filter for the old tank I switched the input and outputs so he will have a long way to travel before he is near any intakes at all :) I am sorry about your loss Hara :( Hopefully he will become happy again (no idea why he all of a sudden started wandering around cause I only have 2 fish in the whole tank and my clowns would hate it if anything were to happen to him.

Doan

Back
Top Bottom