Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oil like surface.

I know that there are a lot of posted post regarding the layer of oil floating at the surface of the water, which I know its DOC, but I can't find any post using the "search" link. I would like to ask if there is any way to remove this DOC besides using a skimmer? Because my skimmer is not a big one, its just a hang on type, and it does not draw water from the surface. But its very wierd, sometimes its all gone completely, super clear surface, but like now, its so thick, so blur. Remember a post saying adding powerhead at the surface, I tried, but that is not a solution to my tank, I had a power head blowing, had a hang on filter ejecting water from the surface, had a cooling fan blowing at the top, but its useless. Any other solution? TIA

Old 03-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey

Old 03-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

try running some carbon
Old 03-12-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
steve-s

For my smaller tanks this can be a problem. I use a fine mesh brine shrimp net and skim the surface. Works like a charm. Water changes and as suggested, the carbon will also ensure it stays in check.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Surface Skum

This is cool...you'll like this. Stick your bare arm straight into the tank and pull it straight back up again. That oily film will cling to your arm and you will have removed it from the tank!

That's from experience... but seriously you have to pull water right from the surface somehow...and/or... disturb the surface by waterfalling water into it. The waterfall pulls the oil back down into the tank where it has a fighting chance of being removed by non-surface filtration.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

My LFS owner told me that the DOC or the oilish film at the surface of the tank is also called protein, is it true? She said that there is a kind of tablets that can removes it. Any idea?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
DOC = protein

I'd go for a skimming method over adding anything to my tank. I had the same problem until i made a Z-flow, from the DIY section, draining to my sump. This pulled everything off of the surface. Although I do have a slight layer in my sump that i'll have to figure out a way to get rid of. Most likely using another overflow. The problem is keeping the water at the same level in the sump. A gallon a day in the main tank is only a difference of less than a 1/4", but in the sump it's one inch 8O

Sounds like it's time to make a level controller

Jim

Tags
oil, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com