oily film surface remedies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i want to stress that i do not want to change my powerhead set up, i only got the oily surface AFTER i replaced my single 750 evo with 2x425 nanos

i love how my corals and fish look and the silence of everything

given this information, what are other remedies?

is a bubble stone helpful? i would also like to increase my ph through the surface agitation

i even have both my 425's at the surface, but no boost in ph from that alone. I am open to suggestions EXCEPT powerhead replacement

thanks

Not sure if this applies but I had a oily substance on my freshwater surface and laid down paper towels and it helped. For saltwater though if your getting a oily build up on the surface your going to want and agitate the surface more. BUT you already said that's out of the question. So.... You ask a question but have your mind set on not helping make the situation better.

Good luck.

I will say this... When asking a question it's always good to keep an open mind. No body is here to knock anyone just offer suggestions.

Just my 2 cents

Not sure if this applies but I had a oily substance on my freshwater surface and laid down paper towels and it helped. For saltwater though if your getting a oily build up on the surface your going to want and agitate the surface more. BUT you already said that's out of the question. So.... You ask a question but have your mind set on not helping make the situation better.

Good luck.

I will say this... When asking a question it's always good to keep an open mind. No body is here to knock anyone just offer suggestions.

Just my 2 cents
please re read my post i never said agitation is out of the question, i was looking for alternative ways to agitate my surface without buying more powerheads
please do not come in here to complain about the way my thread was asked, if you dont like it you dont have to reply, i aam simply asking for alternative solutions to surface agitation without powerheads, you took it way out of context

". I am open to suggestions EXCEPT powerhead replacement"

i even said this and you said i had a closed mind? i am so open i am thinking outside the box. If i was going to buy new powerheads than i wouldnt have to make a thread asking for other ways to agitate my surface. To solve my problem by buying powerheads would mean EXACTLY that I am not open to other suggestions, the complete opposite.

please re read my post i never said agitation is out of the question, i was looking for alternative ways to agitate my surface without buying more powerheads
please do not come in here to complain about the way my thread was asked, if you dont like it you dont have to reply, i aam simply asking for alternative solutions to surface agitation without powerheads, you took it way out of context

". I am open to suggestions EXCEPT powerhead replacement"

i even said this and you said i had a closed mind? i am so open i am thinking outside the box. If i was going to buy new powerheads than i wouldnt have to make a thread asking for other ways to agitate my surface. To solve my problem by buying powerheads would mean EXACTLY that I am not open to other suggestions, the complete opposite.

Not gonna argue with you. You said you didn't want to change your power head placement. Nothing about adding another power head. All I'm saying and I'm sorry if it off rough but... Maybe the answer is, re adjusting your power heads which would mean changing your placement which is clearly something you do not wish to do. That's what I meant about keeping an open mind to suggestions.

Also from experience I found the nano 425's to be very very week. This right there maybe your problem. Just a thought.

once again i dont know how you cant read, but i said i point both my powerheads up and it didnt help

once again i dont know how you cant read, but i said i point both my powerheads up and it didnt help

You wanna keep up with insults and sly remarks that's fine. If it makes you feel like a big man then so be it. As for me I will continue and try and help.

Yes I can read. Pretty well actually although maybe not as good as you can. With that said.... Just because both 425's are pointing upwards may not be enough and like I said those 425's are not rated like they say. I hated mine and went with a MP10 on my 29 gallon. It sounds like a lack of flow issue to me.

You may have to adjust them again in a different direction to create a more random flow. Like aiming them upwards but at each other. You also mentioned an issue with pH which is leading me further to a flow issue.

Also saw the link to that filter. What filter are you currently using and what media are you using i.e. purigen, chemo pure elite etc etc etc.

The Aqua Clear HOBs require about 3" behind the tank. That is for an AC50. Yes, they can make a splash (will definitely break up the surface film problem). I added a curved lip to the water fall (made from the plastic strip at the back of the tank) to redirect the water flow along the surface. In fact it was so calm that a film developed. Fixed that by allowing some of the ceramic rings (I have a bunch of them strung together with fishing line) hang over the lip just enough to generate a few bubbles...even a few will break up the surface film.
Don't understand why your power heads won't break up the film.

The Aqua Clear HOBs require about 3" behind the tank. That is for an AC50. Yes, they can make a splash (will definitely break up the surface film problem). I added a curved lip to the water fall (made from the plastic strip at the back of the tank) to redirect the water flow along the surface. In fact it was so calm that a film developed. Fixed that by allowing some of the ceramic rings (I have a bunch of them strung together with fishing line) hang over the lip just enough to generate a few bubbles...even a few will break up the surface film.
Don't understand why your power heads won't break up the film.

I agree. Also like I said I think those nanos are extremely weak.

I'm pretty sure ^ those are for canister filters. They work pretty good though. Once you get it dialed in but it's another piece of equipment in your tank. Either protien skimmer or adjust your flow.

From what I have read from books air bubbles have same effect as surface agitation to produce oxygen. I am not sure if it will raise the PH though. I use the PH8.2 and the buffer to do that.

An air stone would be bad for a salt tank. Don't go that route. Proper gas exchange, which takes place at the surface, will raise PH. I'm afraid there's no other way to remove the oil slick except moving and/or enlarging/adding power heads.

thanks everyone ill go with the aqueon, i was hoping i wouldnt have to though!

Folks, lets keep it civil and leave personal attacks out of the conversation. Everyone is entitled to share their advice, and opinion, so long as it isn't an attack or personal.

Back
Top Bottom