Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

oily film surface remedies?

i want to stress that i do not want to change my powerhead set up, i only got the oily surface AFTER i replaced my single 750 evo with 2x425 nanos

i love how my corals and fish look and the silence of everything

given this information, what are other remedies?

is a bubble stone helpful? i would also like to increase my ph through the surface agitation

i even have both my 425's at the surface, but no boost in ph from that alone. I am open to suggestions EXCEPT powerhead replacement

thanks

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A protein skimmer?

-Mark Twain
bigben2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure if this applies but I had a oily substance on my freshwater surface and laid down paper towels and it helped. For saltwater though if your getting a oily build up on the surface your going to want and agitate the surface more. BUT you already said that's out of the question. So.... You ask a question but have your mind set on not helping make the situation better.

Good luck.

I will say this... When asking a question it's always good to keep an open mind. No body is here to knock anyone just offer suggestions.

Just my 2 cents

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Not sure if this applies but I had a oily substance on my freshwater surface and laid down paper towels and it helped. For saltwater though if your getting a oily build up on the surface your going to want and agitate the surface more. BUT you already said that's out of the question. So.... You ask a question but have your mind set on not helping make the situation better.

Good luck.

I will say this... When asking a question it's always good to keep an open mind. No body is here to knock anyone just offer suggestions.

Just my 2 cents
please re read my post i never said agitation is out of the question, i was looking for alternative ways to agitate my surface without buying more powerheads
please do not come in here to complain about the way my thread was asked, if you dont like it you dont have to reply, i aam simply asking for alternative solutions to surface agitation without powerheads, you took it way out of context

". I am open to suggestions EXCEPT powerhead replacement"

i even said this and you said i had a closed mind? i am so open i am thinking outside the box. If i was going to buy new powerheads than i wouldnt have to make a thread asking for other ways to agitate my surface. To solve my problem by buying powerheads would mean EXACTLY that I am not open to other suggestions, the complete opposite.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2057 View Post
A protein skimmer?
any recommendations for a 20long?

how is something like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
i am scared its going to get noisy and maybe to big to fit on the back of my tank that is against the wall, but this type of surface agitation would be nice
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
please re read my post i never said agitation is out of the question, i was looking for alternative ways to agitate my surface without buying more powerheads
please do not come in here to complain about the way my thread was asked, if you dont like it you dont have to reply, i aam simply asking for alternative solutions to surface agitation without powerheads, you took it way out of context

". I am open to suggestions EXCEPT powerhead replacement"

i even said this and you said i had a closed mind? i am so open i am thinking outside the box. If i was going to buy new powerheads than i wouldnt have to make a thread asking for other ways to agitate my surface. To solve my problem by buying powerheads would mean EXACTLY that I am not open to other suggestions, the complete opposite.
Not gonna argue with you. You said you didn't want to change your power head placement. Nothing about adding another power head. All I'm saying and I'm sorry if it off rough but... Maybe the answer is, re adjusting your power heads which would mean changing your placement which is clearly something you do not wish to do. That's what I meant about keeping an open mind to suggestions.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also from experience I found the nano 425's to be very very week. This right there maybe your problem. Just a thought.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

once again i dont know how you cant read, but i said i point both my powerheads up and it didnt help
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairenoid View Post
once again i dont know how you cant read, but i said i point both my powerheads up and it didnt help
You wanna keep up with insults and sly remarks that's fine. If it makes you feel like a big man then so be it. As for me I will continue and try and help.

Yes I can read. Pretty well actually although maybe not as good as you can. With that said.... Just because both 425's are pointing upwards may not be enough and like I said those 425's are not rated like they say. I hated mine and went with a MP10 on my 29 gallon. It sounds like a lack of flow issue to me.

You may have to adjust them again in a different direction to create a more random flow. Like aiming them upwards but at each other. You also mentioned an issue with pH which is leading me further to a flow issue.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also saw the link to that filter. What filter are you currently using and what media are you using i.e. purigen, chemo pure elite etc etc etc.

Tags
die, film, oil, oily, oily film, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com