Oily RO water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I topped off my tank with RO water that I made myself and put into a plastic jug. When I poured the water in it look like I was pouring in an oil substance. Is this normal when RO water is added to saltwater? I'm wondering if this is a chemical reaction or if my RO has been contaminated somehow. The tank is a cycling 20g with no fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From your description I do not quite understand whether you think it looked oily because it had a film on it, it made a film when added to the tank, or did it just show a distorted look in the water as you added it, which quickly went away?

The latter would be normal - pouring fresh water into salt, or salt into fresh, or anything with significantly different density or hardness will show ... I don't quite know the right term, but a distortion as it mixes. But it will go away quickly.

Oil will form a film -- on salt water or fresh. If your RO water is forming a film, it's bad -- something in the lines, in the container you used, the RO filter itself, something. A fish tank may form a scum film on its own that is NOT oil (e.g. bacteria) but if you pour water in and it immediately forms a colorful film on the top - you have a problem.

Yeah it was just the distortion. I was a little worried for a second. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

since they are two different salinitys you can see the freshwater in the saltwater until they mix. look up under water freshwater rivers or lakes, basically a river of freshwater under saltwater.

Back
Top Bottom