Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

OJ in reef tank!

Ok this probably doesn't happen everyday but of coarse it did to me. My 2 year old felt like my tank could use some vitamin C and dumped his orange juice in the sump. Now the tank is pretty cloudy but everything seems to be fine. Should I just not worry about it and let it run its coarse or should I do a major water change? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Orange juice is acidic...I would recommend doing a water change just in case. Don't want that staying there and causing problems. Hope everything turns out alright!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
Orange juice is acidic...I would recommend doing a water change just in case. Don't want that staying there and causing problems. Hope everything turns out alright!
+1 to this. Do a water change, check your parameters and keep watching the parameters. There's also a lot of sugar in the OJ which would start breaking down. I don't think it would be immediately toxic (unless the pH dropped), but it would be like overfeeding.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay! Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just be thankful he didn't think it was a fountain and throw some pennies in there..... I'm guessing it's time for some locks on the stand doors.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
Just be thankful he didn't think it was a fountain and throw some pennies in there..... I'm guessing it's time for some locks on the stand doors.
Yikes! Yeah that wouldn't be good luck at all...and that would cost a pretty penny to replace all that would be lost!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Trust me, if that lil fella had it he would have! he loves that tank I think jus as much as I do!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
Ya. I am trying to figure what kinda locks lol
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think I'd just put some simple hasps with small luggage locks..... doesn't have to be complicated, but you want something that positively locks..... they will figure out a latch real quick.

Don't feel bad, you're definitely not the only one this has happened to.... Way back when mine was 2 (20 years ago ), he would put toys in to "give the fishies something to play with" Kids. Gotta love 'em.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque
I think I'd just put some simple hasps with small luggage locks..... doesn't have to be complicated, but you want something that positively locks..... they will figure out a latch real quick.

Don't feel bad, you're definitely not the only one this has happened to.... Way back when mine was 2 (20 years ago ), he would put toys in to "give the fishies something to play with" Kids. Gotta love 'em.
I am trying to think of something that can lock but also I want to get in it easily! I have a setup to where my sump I need to get in there multiple times a day. So a hasp does sound like a great idea with a luggage lock. Thanks so much for your thoughts. Oh by the way my oldest is going on 20 so I'm there with you lol...

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com