OJ in reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizza101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok this probably doesn't happen everyday but of coarse it did to me. My 2 year old felt like my tank could use some vitamin C and dumped his orange juice in the sump. Now the tank is pretty cloudy but everything seems to be fine. Should I just not worry about it and let it run its coarse or should I do a major water change? Thanks in advance!

Orange juice is acidic...I would recommend doing a water change just in case. Don't want that staying there and causing problems. Hope everything turns out alright!

Orange juice is acidic...I would recommend doing a water change just in case. Don't want that staying there and causing problems. Hope everything turns out alright!

+1 to this. Do a water change, check your parameters and keep watching the parameters. There's also a lot of sugar in the OJ which would start breaking down. I don't think it would be immediately toxic (unless the pH dropped), but it would be like overfeeding.

Just be thankful he didn't think it was a fountain and throw some pennies in there..... I'm guessing it's time for some locks on the stand doors.

Just be thankful he didn't think it was a fountain and throw some pennies in there..... I'm guessing it's time for some locks on the stand doors.

Yikes! Yeah that wouldn't be good luck at all...and that would cost a pretty penny to replace all that would be lost!

Trust me, if that lil fella had it he would have! :) he loves that tank I think jus as much as I do!

Phranque said:

Ya. I am trying to figure what kinda locks lol

I think I'd just put some simple hasps with small luggage locks..... doesn't have to be complicated, but you want something that positively locks..... they will figure out a latch real quick.

Don't feel bad, you're definitely not the only one this has happened to.... Way back when mine was 2 (20 years ago :huh:), he would put toys in to "give the fishies something to play with" :facepalm: Kids. Gotta love 'em.

Phranque said:
I think I'd just put some simple hasps with small luggage locks..... doesn't have to be complicated, but you want something that positively locks..... they will figure out a latch real quick.

Don't feel bad, you're definitely not the only one this has happened to.... Way back when mine was 2 (20 years ago :huh:), he would put toys in to "give the fishies something to play with" :facepalm: Kids. Gotta love 'em.

I am trying to think of something that can lock but also I want to get in it easily! I have a setup to where my sump I need to get in there multiple times a day. So a hasp does sound like a great idea with a luggage lock. Thanks so much for your thoughts. Oh by the way my oldest is going on 20 so I'm there with you lol...

Sugar dosing is somewhat common in Reef aquariums but that sounds like a sugar overdose. HA!
I agree with watching the PH for sure, other than that, I don't think it will cause much harm. Especially if you do a water change.
Who knows, you may discover the missing link to reefing. Keep an eye on what happens :D

emkbass said:
Sugar dosing is somewhat common in Reef aquariums but that sounds like a sugar overdose. HA!
I agree with watching the PH for sure, other than that, I don't think it will cause much harm. Especially if you do a water change.
Who knows, you may discover the missing link to reefing. Keep an eye on what happens :D

Will do! Honestly no water change yet but everything is out and doing well... PH is at a steady 8.3 and the cloudiness has gone away! I am happy...

Pizza101 said:
I am trying to think of something that can lock but also I want to get in it easily! I have a setup to where my sump I need to get in there multiple times a day. So a hasp does sound like a great idea with a luggage lock. Thanks so much for your thoughts. Oh by the way my oldest is going on 20 so I'm there with you lol...

How has everything turned out?

Also, I got some safety latches back when mine was a toddler for cabinets. They will let the door open about 1/2 to one inch, and then catch. You have to actually press on the latch itself (which is all on the inside of the cabinet) to be able to fully open the door. You can open it pretty quickly, but it requires more coordination than most toddlers have.

Rutrag said:

Also, I got some safety latches back when mine was a toddler for cabinets. They will let the door open about 1/2 to one inch, and then catch. You have to actually press on the latch itself (which is all on the inside of the cabinet) to be able to fully open the door. You can open it pretty quickly, but it requires more coordination than most toddlers have.

Funny you sent that today because that's exactly what I bought from home Depo earlier this morning! Thanks for checking in. It's working great!

Rutrag said:

I use those, can be found in Mothercare here in the UK. My boy just rattles the doors on m cabinet now, what can you do!

Digital Deviant said:
I use those, can be found in Mothercare here in the UK. My boy just rattles the doors on m cabinet now, what can you do!

Yes sir... I know he was just doing what his daddy does and tried to feed the fish. I think a tank is a very peaceful thing for children. Our son is autistic and loves to watch the tank!

I have had oj in my tank befor as I have toddlers also ..I did a 20% pwc and nothin happened to the tank ...goodluck and good choice on locks...

I guess my son was a born safe cracker when he was little. He blew thru those latches 20 minutes after I installed them. I had to laugh about the orange juice, especially after it was obvious it wouldn't kill everything. Why wouldn't the fish and coral like a bit of juice?

Gregcoyote said:
I guess my son was a born safe cracker when he was little. He blew thru those latches 20 minutes after I installed them. I had to laugh about the orange juice, especially after it was obvious it wouldn't kill everything. Why wouldn't the fish and coral like a bit of juice?

Ya. I'm laughing about it now but I was a tad bit worried for a bit. My lol fellow usually can figure things out pretty quick but I installed them on the inside so maybe I got him outsmarted for a week or so lol... Thanks for the concern fellows!

If you get some good sudden growth then we can credit you with the starting the fad of vodka & orange juice dosing. Otherwise known as pouring your tank a screwdriver. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom