Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to binaryterror
Well... if I can get a filter, what should it be besides the 80 pounds of LR? Is the Fluval good? What about the Magnum? Or should I just get a really nice protein skimmer. I just cant see how LR can do a better filtration job that a filter!nPlease explain, also what filter I should get on the side.

40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:20 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
skip the magnuim and get a really good skimmer..
base rock is dryed out LR.. its MUCH cheaper.. it becomes live rock when you keep it with live rock long enough..

Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh sweet! I think I saw some at my LFS in a box. Even when I am cycling the tank, I will only need a good skimmer? I just really dont feel right about having no filter, but I amb sure you know what you are doing. It just feels so weird to me. Will the skimmer also filter a little?

EDIT* I found this Skimmer http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...4+113771+22741 The 1000 Multi with everything included. Is there any better ones for the price? Also, the link you gave me http://www.ah-supply.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=1192 it is the G2 but it is all I can spend. Let me know which you think is better! Both come with everything needed right?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a fluval 304 and while it's done the job so far for my freshwater tank I wouldn't put it anywhere near my reef tank. You want your filter (if you are using one) to turn over the size of your tank at least 10 times per hour, 15-20 if you are running a reef tank. A fluval won't come close to that, even though they say they're good for 65-100 gallon tanks. They only cycle a 55 gallon tank 4-5 times an hour or so - not nearly good enough. It has a lot of benefits to it, like being able to hold a lot of filter media (carbon, filters, peat moss, those bio-ball thingies) for my freshwater tank. But unless I've been sniffing too much glue you don't need any of that for a reef tank. Also, they are a fussy filter that are notorious for having seal problems or otherwise buggering up. I'd strongly recommeding steering clear of the fluval. Hang-On-Back filters are just fine, and much cheaper.

What I did was get as good a protein skimmer as I could (Aqua C Remora) and am using the AquaClear 110 for my filtration. When setting up a reef tank I have been led to believe that you want your water to be as clean and protein-free as possible, so I slurged on a really good skimmer AND the filter. Using the aforementioned powerheads to filter water over and through live rock will be great for the filtration needs. Listen to greenmaji, no matter how bone your question he's still a ton of help. And keep asking questions! Just look how much better off you are now than a few days ago...

Try this:

http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/aq5pofi110v.html

and this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...ro.asp?CartId=
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

how about getting the ASM G3 for about the same price? LOL
http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/pr...products_id=31
or.. off another reefer for 230+shipping (you might be able to talk him down.. :P)
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77275
Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you asked some of these questions seperately you would have gotten alot more responces.. Im clueless what hasnt been answered well..

the skimmer is a mechanical filter.. if that helps..
it also removes stuff that a normal mechanical filter cant.. disolved fatty mediums/protines..
Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Activist

About the same price? Are you drunk? The link I had up there has a great skimmer at $70 cheaper. Think of it this way...that's a lot of beer!

Whichever skimmer you find, make sure it's a good make that hopefully 90% of certified fish geeks would recommend. Nothing is lamer than buying cheaper equipment and having to replace it with something you should have purchased in the first place.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I am going to buy the G3 that greenmanji showed me. So, I am not going to need a filter. Only the Skimmer and powerheads for crculation, and LR for filtration. All the LR is going to be like $200.00! I think maybe I will buy a kind of cheap filter anways.
40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS
Old 11-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Activist

Going with that much live rock is a great idea. Sounds like you are well on your way.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, but all that LR is going to cost me a FORTUNE! Iam going to buy that filter you gave me a link to above, and I am going to buy the 100 Multi Protein Skimmer here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113771 Thanks!

40lbs. LR
40lbs. LS

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com