Ok I think I got my final set up... give a look over please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok Skilter is out...
Read too many bad things about it !
My final Choice is for my 55 gallon with live rock and live sand.
XP3 FilStar Canister Filter or the ViaAqua Canister Filter - 750
As I understand a protein skimmer isn't needed unless bioload is heavy, when I think I'll need it I'll add a Prizm Pro Deluxe Skimmer
2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 1200 (295 gph)
300 Watt stainless steel heater

around 60 pounds of live rock and 3-4 bags of live sand.

Lighitng is still going to be a single tube 40 watt bulb.

ANYTHING else?
Thanks for all the input guys !
REALLY helped me alot !

whats up, I think you will have made the right choice with the xp3 filter, u know I got a xp2, works great. I've heard great things about the maxi-jet powerheads too, im gonna pick one up soon. I havent seen that kind of heater but sounds good. u may need some more lighting...but good start! GL :mrgreen:

thanks for the reply !
as for the heater I though something stainless or even the titianum would be great to use... Something quality is all I was looking for really.

My own personal opinion .... Loose the cannister filter and buy a skimmer right away ! I originally bought a Fluval 304 and had so many problems controling nitrates and nitrites ... It now runs empty as a circulating pump except the odd carbon bag I put in when required ... So for the same price almost, a skimmer and another PH
Just my opinion !
Good luck

Michel said:
My own personal opinion .... Loose the cannister filter and buy a skimmer right away ! I originally bought a Fluval 304 and had so many problems controling nitrates and nitrites ... It now runs empty as a circulating pump except the odd carbon bag I put in when required ... So for the same price almost, a skimmer and another PH
Just my opinion !
Good luck

The skimmer should be the first in your shopping list ! That's what i've learnt from a bit of my experience and more from reading tons of marine keeping articles :)

Get the Prizm skimmer!! My 55 has been running about a month now and I only have 10lbs of live rock and 3 fish...the skimmer helped clear the water from the intital setup and plus it help keep the surface water moving. I'll be adding more live rock as the budget permits but the skimmer was a good investment!! :D

The standard Prizm skimmer is terribly inadequate for larger tanks. It would only be marginally helpful on smaller tanks, even on my 30g it produced very limited results. If you aren't pulling out dark coffee colored skimmate you are not skimming all that great....and I have yet to see a Prizm be able to do this. If they made tremendous advances in the Pro model, then perhaps this might be worth the cash.

If intending to skim as a major means of nutrient export, I would look into some of the pricier models if you have a sump or converted hang-on models. Recommendations though I can't give as I don't see the need to skim. However, I do know that you get what you pay for with skimmers.

I would personally like to recommend the Aqua C Remora I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I love it...

James

hey michel i was gona make a post about fluvals but ill just ask since you mentioned having probs with em. Were they that bad? I dont have one but ive looked at a few. The look like good filtration but ive heard bad things about cannisters also. Anyone else had probs with fluvals?

The problem isn't so much with the Fluval itself, but any mechanical filter in a saltwater tank will trap debris and raise the nitrate levels as it isolates the material from being consumed by the different critters in the tank. This is why many people are removing bioballs, biowheels, filter media, etc. and increasing the amount of detrivores in the tank in conjuction with refugiums, deep sand beds, etc.

Back
Top Bottom