Ok, I think I went too far..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I implemented SeaChem's PO4 remover 2 weeks ago. After Week 1, po4 was about .5 PPM or so. I measured again after replacing with a fresh batch of po4 remover and (Its hard to see the lighter colors) and both test kits shows almost no po4. I have read only a few out of the many articles I have poured over about lowering po4 too low and how that can result in unhealthy conditions as well. However, so many folks post that the have 0PPM (Or 'undetectable') po4 that I figured thats what I would shoot for. (Algae issues..) Attached is a photo of my prized toadstool. About week after lowering po4 it closed and then days after it started to look like the pix (The white/yellow spots)..Have I gone too far????

-PC

Attachments

• sick_toadstool_013.jpg
    sick_toadstool_013.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 100
  • sick_toadstool_014.jpg
    sick_toadstool_014.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 77
  • sick_toadstool_015.jpg
    sick_toadstool_015.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 86
It's not from the reduction in PO4, it's the aluminum oxide released when using this product. Remove the Phosguard, do several large water changes (well aged/aerated) and add some carbon. It should show some improvement in a few days.

Cheers
Steve

I halted the filter the night I took the photos. It seems odd that this issue never came up in any of my readings prior to buying the large Seachem bottle of the product. I think a letter to Seachem is in order. Any suggestions on po4 remover that will not harm my corals and inverts?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom