OK, I wanna build a fuge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon ( I know it is small) tank under my 60 gallon reef and I want to make it a fuge. I currently grow macro algea and all types of pods in the tank. I want to pipe the water from my integrated sump return down into the fuge and then back up to the return. I am worried about flooding my stand and thus my office. What options do I have to protect myself against power loss and accidental flooding. I have thought about a series of float switches tied to pumps both from the tank and to the tank. I will use check valves or ball valves to make it possible to perform maintenance. I am going to try and draw up some plans that I will post later, but any ideas are greatly welcomed.

You could do something like I did on a smaller scale if you dont mind using a rubber maid tub or something simular.

Pretty basic design...
What you will need:

bucket or rubber maid tub.
Standard bulk head
hose clamps
Hose to fit bulk head
Power head
hose to fit the power head.

Cut a hole in the container big enough for the bulk head (1" is reccomended).

Attatch the bulk head

Attatch the hose (jacuzzi hose is best) with the clams and route into the sump.

Now attatch the smaller hose to the power head. Glueing w/ pvc glue is best.

Route to the bucket. IMPORTANT! Make sure the opening of the hose is above or just touching the water level. It will back flow if it is submerged!

You can hold the hose in place by drilling a small hole and using a cable tie to tighten it down.

Hmm...that last one was suppose to be a pic of the bulk heads.

Oh well..cant seem to find that one. It was just a pic of the bulk head screwed into place.

On mine...th pump is in the sump which is routed through the wall to the fuge behind. But its very easy to do this on a smaller scale.

The water pumps in...drains back into the tank. If the power fails, the pump shuts off and there is no more drainage!

Squishy

How much flow needs to go through a fuge anyhow?

I was thinking about a very small fountain pump going from the built in sump down to the fuge, so if the level falls in the sump I can kill the flow with a float switch. Then bakc up again using an adjustable pump to regulate the fuge level, also with a float switch cutoff.

Im sure someone can help you rig that...In mine, I wanted as few mechanical parts as possible so that that it would not over flow or drain my sump. The drain from the fuge into the sump will never be more than the power head pushes in the design I showed you...wich means it should reach a balance very easily. Remember..more is not always better!

The flow in a sump should be low, and you dont want power heads actually in the fuge.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom