Ok I'm thinking about making a sump for my 75g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMoney1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok I'm thinking about making a sump for my 75g tank. The 1st thing is so I need a skimmer to put inside the sump and 2nd will I still need to use my old filter

A skimmer is highly recommended for any tank over 30g's. And you should still be able to use your filter as long as you're cleaning it out every week or so. If you're going to get a sump you could put live rock in there for extra biofiltration or you could get a fuge going.

You don't need a cannister filter but it's worth using with filter floss as a vacuum cleaner on your tank without removing any water,also a good way to utilise any chemical filter media when needed.
What size sump and whats going in it?

SW or FW?
What's in the tank?
What do you want the tank to end up looking like?
What is your old filter?

You do not NEED a skimmer, but if you are planning a reef tank it's a good investment. It's not needed day 1, but you should leave enough room to add it later.

welcometoaa.gif

subliminalanarchy said:
A skimmer is highly recommended for any tank over 30g's. And you should still be able to use your filter as long as you're cleaning it out every week or so. If you're going to get a sump you could put live rock in there for extra biofiltration or you could get a fuge going.

I don't want to use my old filter will the sump do the job or will I need to use it? I'm tring to get a reef tank going

David S said:
You don't need a cannister filter but it's worth using with filter floss as a vacuum cleaner on your tank without removing any water,also a good way to utilise any chemical filter media when needed.
What size sump and whats going in it?

Not sure. What to put in it. It will be made out of a 29g

As long as you have enough live rock you should be fine without the filter. You shouldn't be relying on it anyway, it should only be used as an extra precaution.

cmor1701d said:
SW or FW?
What's in the tank?
What do you want the tank to end up looking like?
What is your old filter?

You do not NEED a skimmer, but if you are planning a reef tank it's a good investment. It's not needed day 1, but you should leave enough room to add it later.

Sw yes I'm planning on getting reefs. I have a fluval 204 but I don't like it and want to replace it with a sump

subliminalanarchy said:
As long as you have enough live rock you should be fine without the filter. You shouldn't be relying on it anyway, it should only be used as an extra precaution.

Oh yea???

Assuming you have good flow, plenty of live rock, and are keeping up with your water changes. And your tank isn't overstocked and your not overfeeding. And nothing goes wrong unnoticed. And... lol.

hey guys! i have a 50g tank with 3 nemos and 2 starter fish (theyre getting along great!), i also have live rock and a anemone. My question is, is there anything i could give the anemone besides the frozen stuff you buy from local fish store? i mean, could i make my own food to give to or do they only require the frozen stuff?!?

Back
Top Bottom