Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Ok it's war time... Time for crab trap !

Came home this morning from the firehouse to find one of my 2 peppermint shrimp in half...

And it was not my hermits, they are way way way too small to do that !

I had in my rock a few crabs but they are killing my LR and now my shrimp ! I also noticed a few spereations in my fire gobys fin... NOT COOL !

Did some hunting for crab traps... Anyone had any ideas?

Any luck with anything?

ReefRunner, I know you gonna have a killer trap plan for me
Thanks,
Rich

Old 04-24-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Place a mason jar, (Mayo jar) upright against the rock pile with some Raw shrimp as bait, in the jar.The crab can get in, but cannot scale the smoth glass surface to get out.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
i used a cup. you know one of the cheap plastic drink cups and then put a rock in the bottom with some shrimp. then wait over night. if you have hermit crabs they will fall for it too. i think it works better if you kind of know the spot he is hiding out in so you can trap right out of his door.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those traps work fine.. my hermits always are the first ones to pile in though .. almost worth letting the hermits fill up, temporarily remove the hermits to another tank and then finally get the clinging/stone crabs to jump in.

Seems like when it's full of clamoring hermits the clinging SOB stone crab types are scared to go in. :P

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com