ok to add shrooms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphinsfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My current tank is a 26gal bow with 30lbs liverock & coralife 65w 50/50 bulb for lighting. Was thinking about possibly adding some mushrooms to give corals a try. 1) is my lighting sufficient to support mushrooms? 2) if so, what additives/ diet supplement, if any, would I have to include? Current tank inhabitants include 1 clown, 1 yellowtail damsel, 1 yellow watchman gobie and 1 six-line wrasse. Tank has been running for 7 mos w/ cpr bak pak skimmer.

Shrooms should be fine w/ your lighting. You don't have to, and I wouldn't personally, add anything for them. A good partial WC schedule will take care of everything they need. Adding things you don't regularly test for will end up doing more harm than good. HTH

Thanks for the help. I've been contemplating adding shrooms for a while and the inconsistency with advice from my lfs has made me skeptical. The advice i've gotten has ranged form just acclimating and watch them go to a laundry list of chemicals and additives. I don't want to mess with harmony as it currently exists just to screw things up for the sake of trying something new.

to a laundry list of chemicals and additives
That, IMO, is a salesman at work. FWIW, using a balanced 2-part ca/alk additive like B-ionic is a good idea with high ca/alk demanding corals like sps, lps, and clams. But, having said that, keeping ca/alk balanced and near the levels of NSW is always desired. Even w/ just softies.

I'd add some Iodine and Trace elements
I would NOT dose iodine. It is very easy to overdose a tank and it could spell disastor, especially in a tank of that size. In smaller tanks, the best way to replensih the depleted trace elements is through refular water changes. 10% every two weeks will keep your trace elements where they need to be. Skip the additives, add the muchsrooms, have fun...Lando

It's worked for me in my 29, my shrooms we're doing great until I traded them to a friend. But whatever works for you...

Shrooms are very tuff and you don't need to dose anything to keep them. I kept some shrooms in a covered Home Depot bucket for at least 3 months and they survived.

Wow. I figured they were tough but not that tough. That's good to know for future reference. I learn something new every day I'm on this forum. 8)

Yes they are tuff but they shrunk in size big time. Any longer and they would have disappeared.

BDAWG said:
Out of curiosity, why did you need to keep them in there for 3 months?

I had an infestation of red macro turf algae(not cyano) and i pulled and pulled, i just couldnt keep up. Little pieces would float away and start infesting other parts of the tank.

I gave away some of infested rocks w/corals to other reefers and they stated that their tangs just loved to eat that red macro. Unfortunatly I only had a 10g tank and we all know tangs don't belong in such a small tank. So my options were to keep the infested rocks in the dark to starve the algae from light or maybe buy somekind of urchin.

Back
Top Bottom