Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK to Boil Shell so Maxima can attach by byssal filaments?

I just picked up a small Maxima Clam.

I know that they attach themselves by their byssal filaments.

I placed the Mamxima clam on the bottom of the tank and dont want him to attach to the glass bottom. I bought a huge fresh Clam from the Seafood store and Bolied the #$@#% out of the shell. 2 times for over an hour.

I want to seperate the shell halves and fill one with sand and use it as a base This way I can move the Clam if needed.

I am concerned about contaminating my tank.

Can I go ahead and Add The Shell ?

Hopefully my Coral Beauty wont get the clam munchies

Thanks !!!

Here is a pic of Jr.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't see why not........ by the way did you bury the clam that deep ???? If so I would raise it up a little......

Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, you need to unbury that clam. In addition to not being able to open to collect light, sand falling inside the clam through the inlet/outlet siphon would not be good. As far as contamination goes, you should be fine. Also, Crocea and Maxima clams are rock dwelling, and require high light. They should be Placed in the upper half of your aquarium, close to a MH in order to keep their color. Be careful though they can "spit" water when they close so not to close to the water surface, we all know water and MH don't mix lol. HTH
Old 01-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the Help

I ended up placing him on a concave rock that I covered with sand,
he isnt burried and is much more exposed now.

Next I will place him higher up

I saved the clam shells and if all goes well with this one I will add another and use the shell then

Thanks again

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually, when you see them in the wild that is about how they look. Often you can see nothing except the mantle...the entire shell is buried.

Tags
oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com