OK to Boil Shell so Maxima can attach by byssal filaments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EL Diablo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a small Maxima Clam.

I know that they attach themselves by their byssal filaments.

I placed the Mamxima clam on the bottom of the tank and dont want him to attach to the glass bottom. I bought a huge fresh Clam from the Seafood store and Bolied the #$@#% out of the shell. 2 times for over an hour.

I want to seperate the shell halves and fill one with sand and use it as a base This way I can move the Clam if needed.

I am concerned about contaminating my tank.

Can I go ahead and Add The Shell ?

Hopefully my Coral Beauty wont get the clam munchies

Thanks !!!

Here is a pic of Jr.

I don't see why not........ by the way did you bury the clam that deep ???? If so I would raise it up a little......

I agree, you need to unbury that clam. In addition to not being able to open to collect light, sand falling inside the clam through the inlet/outlet siphon would not be good. As far as contamination goes, you should be fine. Also, Crocea and Maxima clams are rock dwelling, and require high light. They should be Placed in the upper half of your aquarium, close to a MH in order to keep their color. Be careful though they can "spit" water when they close so not to close to the water surface, we all know water and MH don't mix lol. HTH

Thanks for the Help

I ended up placing him on a concave rock that I covered with sand,
he isnt burried and is much more exposed now.

Next I will place him higher up

I saved the clam shells and if all goes well with this one I will add another and use the shell then

Thanks again

Actually, when you see them in the wild that is about how they look. Often you can see nothing except the mantle...the entire shell is buried.

Back
Top Bottom