Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok to change salt?

is it ok to change to a diff. brand of salt? i've been using oceanic because it was dirt cheap, but now i'm finding my pH is down...what would be a good somewhat cheap salt to switch to? IO is kinda cheap here...is that any good? also, if i was to add buffers...how often would i have to? if every day, i'd rather just pay a little more for a better salt.
and also, i just had lace rock in there, but i just added a bit of live rock...mostly figi, but it had a bit of others...i think one was marshall, and maybe a bit of tonga branch...would adding this live rock help the pH or anything? i mean anything besides filtering.

thanks
mike

Old 05-30-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

there should be no issues with changing brands of salt I use Instant Ocean not the cheapest but one of the best IMO, PH is always at 8.3 and buffers you really shouldt have to add everyday unless it is low ph and then only increase is slowly if you have livestock. but otherwise it should be a add buffer on a weekly water change but thats it. or maybe if you do fornight water changes test ph one a week, when it has settled.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

k, i'm switching to IO...my pH is freakin 7.7 and sometimes a little lower. only damsels now, but i want everything to be perfect for when i get rid of them and get my flame angel and chromis.

thanks for the info..
oh and when i switch to IO, (unless someone knows a better, cheaper brand) should i do regular size water change when i change, or should i only do a smaller one, but then a few days later do another smaller one to slowly bring it back up?

thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
my pH is freakin 7.7
Do you have a lid that covers the top of the tank? The reason I ask, is I had a lid and I didn't get enough gas exchange to keep my pH up. I bought a lighting system that stands over the tank, and presto, my pH stays steady at 8.3.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hmmm that might be too...but to answer your question, no, i dont have it on there now...i'ts been off for about a week or 2. but i took it off at about the same time i last got it tested (i just did it for heat issues tho) so it might have made a diff. I'll get it tested today.
do you think that it might change it much? as in 7.7 all the way up to 8 or so?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
do you think that it might change it much? as in 7.7 all the way up to 8 or so?
Mine went from about 7.8 to 8.3, but I had to play around w/my PH to get a little more movement on the top of the water.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

wow, i didnt think it would go that much. I'll check it later today and let you know if takin the hood off did anything

thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m a big fan of oceanic. It is a little higher in calcium then others IMO. But yes glass covers will make a difference. It would be the difference from 7.7 to 8 or 8.2.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well, i guess that takin the cover off didnt make a difference...still at 7.7.....
oh, and the cover wasnt glass, it was just plastic w/2 holes coverd by glass for the light to shine through. but the back was open, about 2 inch gap going along the whole back.
If i was to add a buffer, what brand should i use, and how often would i need to use it? if its gonna be somethin i gotta use every few days, and every day for sure, then i'd rather just switch salts...but i am w/melosu on that one...i like oceanic because its really cheap w/no problems really, except my pH is 7.7

let me know what you guys think.

oh ya, the pH has been constant tho, no fluctuations really.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm, how much water movement do you have on the surface? I'm not sure how long it takes pH to rise or fall. I have a 55G FOWLR with a fluvial 304 and only one PH rated for a 30G tank.
The reason I bought the new lights, was they were on sale and I wanted to try to keep my tank as natural as possible. I tried the pH buffer and ended up having to do it every day, and it didn't seem to stay steady. I also am running on well water (with a water softener).
Now I also premix my water about 24 hours prior to a PWC, so this might help my pH as well.

Quote:
2 holes coverd by glass for the light to shine through. but the back was open, about 2 inch gap going along the whole back.
It sounds like you have the same type of lid that I did. Two lights, plastic cover, "punch out" slots in the back.
I'm sorry removing the lid didn't help! Again, I'm not sure how long it would take pH to change naturally...maybe 24-48 hours for it to completely stabilize....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
change, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com