OK to remove sponge in wet/dry & add rubble?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
Below is a pic of my wet/dry. I am thinking about removing the sponge between the 2 chambers and filling up the left side with LR rubble. I was wondering if the sponge serves any real function (other than containing some good bacteria)? If not, I'm going to remove it so I"ll have more room for my LR rubble and heater.

img_332172_0_1059f274bfb822f14a16ee9c22f322f0.jpg

I can't see why it wouldn't be ok, but wanted to check first.

Thanks, Jim

Actually you need to get rid of the bio balls. A partial amount at a time and it will cut way down on the nitrates.

I was actually considering getting rid of the bioballs, as you can see, there are not many of them in there. If i can get enough LR rubble, I may take em out.

FWIW, my nitrates are almost 0. I'm guessing this is due to the refugium.

Jim

Too bad your not in my area, LFS is selling rubble for cheap to clean out his LR tank. I think I paid $2.99/lb.

reomoving teh bioballs is a great idea, however, your water parameters say all is well now. I would attribute the zero nitrate to your fuge ans well. The filter pad also works as mechanical filtration. I still use one just to catch the big chunck of detritus when I do water changes. Otherwise, it take it out. Shop around for rubble. You may be able to find a LFS that will give it to you. Otherwise, it is not too expensive. As mentioned, do not remove all of the bioballs at once. Do about 1/4 of them every week or so until they are gone. You also may need to raise the water level in your sump so the rubble is completely covered.

Back
Top Bottom