Ok to use this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I decided I needed to use a powerhead for my saltwater storage make up water. Hopefully keep it a little more 'mixed' this way. I should have probably done this sooner ;)

anyway,
I'm not sure if this is safe to do, so I figured I'd ask:
I have a maxi jet 600 that was used in my QT tank. I had it in there about 6 months ago, when I had used copper in the QT. I have since steralized it several times and it has been dry and not in use since that time. I know copper can 'soak' into soft plastic like the stuff that holds the aquarium together, as well as live rock etc since its pourous, but I was wondering, since the PH is a hard plastic ( like pvc) would it be ok to put in my water storage bucket to circulate the water or would it leach copper into it?

I figured i' ask before trying it, or bothering to go buy another powerhead.

thanks!!

One way to find out is to put it in a fresh batch of freshwater and saltwater and test for copper after 24hrs. and 48hrs. The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not the risk is worth the expense of your livestock. If I were in your shoes I'd just buy another powerhead.

I agrre with James, but I always like to be on the safe side...

Back
Top Bottom