Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

What are the dimensions of the tank? If you want SPS you may want to go the VHO or Metal Halide lights. In a tank that size depending on the height you can use VHOs and be ok. The types of corals you want will also detemine the flow of the tank. SPS need lots of flow and softies need a little flow but not like the SPS. Lots of things to consider for flow too, like closed loop or powerheads or both, sump or refugium with return pump or Hang on back skimmer and filters with returns. Live sand is a nice look but a lot of folks like the bare bottom for the ease of maintenance and clean up. Animal load too is very important becasue you don't want to put too many animals in there and throw the tank out of balance.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I would second lando's suggestions with a couple of additions based on my personal experiences. I would add getting a predrilled tank to handle an overflow and sump/refugium setup. I would also say get as large a tank as will fit in your budget/living room. One of the first things newcomers to the hobby invariably say, including myself, is "I wish i had a bigger tank".

Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
One of the first things newcomers to the hobby invariably say, including myself, is "I wish i had a bigger tank".
Ain't that the truth. I started with a 10g, then 29g, then 55g, and now my 150g and I still want something bigger. But I am happy with the 150g for now. (plus the wife has other plans.)
Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Two things.

1. It's great that you read so many books, but seriously pay close attention to people on this site. They helped me more than any book I've read.

2. The Search for One Eyed Jimmy is a gem, but unfortunately it was a little independent flick and you can't even get it was never released on DVD. If you find a VHS copy out there, check it out.

3 (did I say 2?). Sump, sump, sump. It's the one thing I would recommend. Stay away from the hang on skimmers. They have become my biggest enemy, besides male pattern baldness.

- Skins
Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Didn't Samuel L Jackson have a cameo in that movie? Wasn't the bug-eyed guy from the Adam Sandler movies in that?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Didn't Samuel L Jackson have a cameo in that movie? Wasn't the bug-eyed guy from the Adam Sandler movies in that?
Haha, yes he was and yes he was (Steve Buscemi or "Mr. Pink"). Also John Turturo, Nick Turturo, Boom Boom Mancini and Michael Badalucco from that show The Practice played "Joe Head". Stupid movie. So stupid that I love it.

Sorry to take the thread in a different direction. I'll punch out.

- Skins

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com