Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok you experts!...

Ok, now that I have your attention.... First off great site, looks very informative and very user friendly.

Now Iv'e had a freshwater aquarium since I was about 9 years old and as I enter my last few days of my 20's I think I'm ready to move onto the 30th birthday with a brand new 65 ish gallon salt/fish/reef aquarium...

Iv'e read 3 books (started with "saltwater for dummies) which turned out to be my favorite surprisingly. :P and I have a pretty good idea of how to do things. However I don't want to half butt anything, I want my system to be top notch and my fish and reef to be healthy!

My question to all you advanced and experienced Aquarist (?) is if you had to set up a 60-65 is gallon aquarium all over again what exactly would you start with?

Here's an example.... 8)
fish- (2) hammerheads (1) stingray & (2) largemouth bass
LR- how many lbs.?
little critters- crabs snails etc..

and feel free to add anything that will/could help me out.... Thanx everyone

Old 09-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA... And dude, GREAT NAME. Is it from Search for One-Eyed Jimmy? Great movie.

As far as your post, you're pulling our legs here, right? Hammerheads? TWO hammerheads? 65 gallons is way too small. All the species you named are too large for that system. Just think about how large they grow. I mean, hammerheads get to be over 10 feet, and bass can be monsters too... They won't live forever and will suffer there. I just saw stingrays today that were all at least 2 feet wide, and they were in a pond-sized system at a large public aquarium.

Reef and live rock is much more do-able there. As far as amounts/types, I will let others tell you what they think. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

re post1

I was just being a little humerous about my fish selection ^ up there..
Old 09-02-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thought so... I just thought about my post and came back to edit it, with a little more sarcasm. You still have a great screenname, tho.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

First great thread starter,
What i have: 55 gallon, Fish load:royal gamma, clowns, firefish, yellow ang, cardanals Inverts: Snails, Brittle star Corals: Mushrooms, plate, brain
Second what i would do is: Depends on what type of system you want. I will always try to do a reef setup (becuse i like the look of them)
I would stay with the smaller fish and build a community around one that you like.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklid
Quote:
Thought so... I just thought about my post and came back to edit it, with a little more sarcasm. You still have a great screenname, tho.
Thank you, to be honest with you I don't know which movie your talking about ( But I'm gonna go pick it up)
If you put a "moore" in between Joe and Head you would have my full legal name. I was teased once or twice as a child! :P
Old 09-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
My question to all you advanced and experienced Aquarist (?) is if you had to set up a 60-65 is gallon aquarium all over again what exactly would you start with?
More importantaly, what do YOU want to start with. It really depends on the type of tank you want to keep. If it were me, I would start with LS substrate (2-3 inches), 130lbs of LR, a good skimmer, a couple powerheads and maybe a sump for added water volume and filtration.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ok you experts!...

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle with live animals.
Lando pretty much hit it. You want to shoot for 1.5-2LBS of LR per gallon, this will give you the best, natural filtration. One thing in SW, don't skimp on costs. The initial set up is expensive, but the monthly cost is not bad at all.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHead
Thank you, to be honest with you I don't know which movie your talking about ( But I'm gonna go pick it up)
If you put a "moore" in between Joe and Head you would have my full legal name. I was teased once or twice as a child! :P
I can only imagine the teasing. Kids sure can be cruel!

Welcome to AA and best of luck in setting up your new reef aquarium.

I'm so jealous, I WANT TO BE A SALTY TOO!! :P

Joe
Old 09-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
More importantaly, what do YOU want to start with. It really depends on the type of tank you want to keep. If it were me, I would start with LS substrate (2-3 inches), 130lbs of LR, a good skimmer, a couple powerheads and maybe a sump for added water volume and filtration.
That is just the kind of reply I'm looking for (Thank you) I read the books and get a few different formuas of what to put in... But I want ya'alls expeirenced opinions!!! I will for sure be doing the LS and Lr thing, keep em coming guys.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com