Ok you experts!...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeHead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:D Ok, now that I have your attention.... First off great site, looks very informative and very user friendly.

Now Iv'e had a freshwater aquarium since I was about 9 years old and as I enter my last few days of my 20's I think I'm ready to move onto the 30th birthday with a brand new 65 ish gallon salt/fish/reef aquarium...

Iv'e read 3 books (started with "saltwater for dummies) which turned out to be my favorite surprisingly. :p and I have a pretty good idea of how to do things. However I don't want to half butt anything, I want my system to be top notch and my fish and reef to be healthy!

My question to all you advanced and experienced Aquarist (?) is if you had to set up a 60-65 is gallon aquarium all over again what exactly would you start with?

Here's an example.... 8)
fish- (2) hammerheads (1) stingray & (2) largemouth bass
LR- how many lbs.?
little critters- crabs snails etc..

and feel free to add anything that will/could help me out.... Thanx everyone

Welcome to AA... And dude, GREAT NAME. Is it from Search for One-Eyed Jimmy? Great movie.

As far as your post, you're pulling our legs here, right? Hammerheads? TWO hammerheads? 65 gallons is way too small. All the species you named are too large for that system. Just think about how large they grow. I mean, hammerheads get to be over 10 feet, and bass can be monsters too... They won't live forever and will suffer there. I just saw stingrays today that were all at least 2 feet wide, and they were in a pond-sized system at a large public aquarium.

Reef and live rock is much more do-able there. As far as amounts/types, I will let others tell you what they think. Good luck.

re post1

I was just being a little humerous about my fish selection ^ up there.. :roll: :lol:

I was just being a little humerous about my fish selection ^ up there..

Thought so... I just thought about my post and came back to edit it, with a little more sarcasm. You still have a great screenname, tho.

First great thread starter,
What i have: 55 gallon, Fish load:royal gamma, clowns, firefish, yellow ang, cardanals Inverts: Snails, Brittle star Corals: Mushrooms, plate, brain
Second what i would do is: Depends on what type of system you want. I will always try to do a reef setup (becuse i like the look of them)
I would stay with the smaller fish and build a community around one that you like.

Sicklid said:
I was just being a little humerous about my fish selection ^ up there..

Thought so... I just thought about my post and came back to edit it, with a little more sarcasm. You still have a great screenname, tho.

Thank you, to be honest with you I don't know which movie your talking about ( But I'm gonna go pick it up)
If you put a "moore" in between Joe and Head you would have my full legal name. I was teased once or twice as a child! :p

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
My question to all you advanced and experienced Aquarist (?) is if you had to set up a 60-65 is gallon aquarium all over again what exactly would you start with?
More importantaly, what do YOU want to start with. It really depends on the type of tank you want to keep. If it were me, I would start with LS substrate (2-3 inches), 130lbs of LR, a good skimmer, a couple powerheads and maybe a sump for added water volume and filtration.

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle with live animals.
Lando pretty much hit it. You want to shoot for 1.5-2LBS of LR per gallon, this will give you the best, natural filtration. One thing in SW, don't skimp on costs. The initial set up is expensive, but the monthly cost is not bad at all.

JoeHead said:
Thank you, to be honest with you I don't know which movie your talking about ( But I'm gonna go pick it up)
If you put a "moore" in between Joe and Head you would have my full legal name. I was teased once or twice as a child! :p

I can only imagine the teasing. Kids sure can be cruel!

Welcome to AA and best of luck in setting up your new reef aquarium.

I'm so jealous, I WANT TO BE A SALTY TOO!! :p

Joe

lando said:
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
More importantaly, what do YOU want to start with. It really depends on the type of tank you want to keep. If it were me, I would start with LS substrate (2-3 inches), 130lbs of LR, a good skimmer, a couple powerheads and maybe a sump for added water volume and filtration.

That is just the kind of reply I'm looking for (Thank you) I read the books and get a few different formuas of what to put in... But I want ya'alls expeirenced opinions!!! I will for sure be doing the LS and Lr thing, keep em coming guys.

What are the dimensions of the tank? If you want SPS you may want to go the VHO or Metal Halide lights. In a tank that size depending on the height you can use VHOs and be ok. The types of corals you want will also detemine the flow of the tank. SPS need lots of flow and softies need a little flow but not like the SPS. Lots of things to consider for flow too, like closed loop or powerheads or both, sump or refugium with return pump or Hang on back skimmer and filters with returns. Live sand is a nice look but a lot of folks like the bare bottom for the ease of maintenance and clean up. Animal load too is very important becasue you don't want to put too many animals in there and throw the tank out of balance.

I would second lando's suggestions with a couple of additions based on my personal experiences. I would add getting a predrilled tank to handle an overflow and sump/refugium setup. I would also say get as large a tank as will fit in your budget/living room. One of the first things newcomers to the hobby invariably say, including myself, is "I wish i had a bigger tank".

BillyZ said:
One of the first things newcomers to the hobby invariably say, including myself, is "I wish i had a bigger tank".

Ain't that the truth. I started with a 10g, then 29g, then 55g, and now my 150g and I still want something bigger. But I am happy with the 150g for now. (plus the wife has other plans.) :roll:

Two things.

1. It's great that you read so many books, but seriously pay close attention to people on this site. They helped me more than any book I've read.

2. The Search for One Eyed Jimmy is a gem, but unfortunately it was a little independent flick and you can't even get it was never released on DVD. If you find a VHS copy out there, check it out.

3 (did I say 2?). Sump, sump, sump. It's the one thing I would recommend. Stay away from the hang on skimmers. They have become my biggest enemy, besides male pattern baldness.

- Skins

Didn't Samuel L Jackson have a cameo in that movie? Wasn't the bug-eyed guy from the Adam Sandler movies in that?

lando said:
Didn't Samuel L Jackson have a cameo in that movie? Wasn't the bug-eyed guy from the Adam Sandler movies in that?

Haha, yes he was and yes he was (Steve Buscemi or "Mr. Pink"). Also John Turturo, Nick Turturo, Boom Boom Mancini and Michael Badalucco from that show The Practice played "Joe Head". Stupid movie. So stupid that I love it.

Sorry to take the thread in a different direction. I'll punch out.

- Skins

Back
Top Bottom