Okay, Brown algae -- one more time . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I got a GREAT phosphate/silicate magnet product. I put in in the tank on Saturday, and after about 6 hours or so, my phosphates were zero.

Then, I swapped out the material, put it back in, and today my silicates were zero.

Additionally, my nitrates are just a TINY bit above zero. Like 0.05 or so. I would call it zero, but the test was just a tiny bit above the yellow on the card.

BUT I STILL HAVE BROWN ALGAE! When can I expect this to go away? Should I be vaccuming it out with water changes?

Thanks,
Todd

P.S. Still no activity on the Purple Nudibranch eggs.

Algae will not immediately die once it's food sources are eliminated. Depending on the types and amount of snails you have they will help but you will slowly notice the algaes reduce in mass as the days go by.

Cheers
Steve

i was having a problem too. i'm not sure what caused mine though. i had my water tested for silicate and phosphate both were 0 but i had just moved my tank from previous owner to my house and had to drain and refill it. because i kept all the old sand, lr, and filter media it cycled very quickly. i started having the algae after two weeks and just got rid of it by accident after four weeks. i went on vacation and my boyfriend forgot to turn the lights on for about a day and a half. when i came back it was totally gone. i was told that it was probably about to crash anyway but it's worth a try. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom