Old Dead Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carberarr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently acquired about 20 lbs of dead or dry rock. It had been outside someones house for some time. I have sprayed it off well with very hot water. It has some green algae on it from being outside in the rain. Is there any way I can add this to my new tank? My tank has not been set up yet, I would seed this with Live rock. Just want to be sure I clean it off well before I put it in. It will be cycled so hopefully a lot of whatever is bad on it will dye. Can I boil it?? Just to be sure its clean?

Thanks

You can boil it then I would try to place it in a bin of salt water or in RO/DI and test the water to make sure there is nothing leaching into it .. then add it to your tank and watch for any issues . Your live rock will seed it for you :D

I am no expert at this kind of thing but I have heard other members talk about boiling the rock. I imagine that it deals with most microorganisims.

Another solution would be giving the dead rock a bleach bath followed by a very thorough rinse.

Great. So the green algae thats grown in it will just die off most likely, and wont do anything bad?
That is right ;) as it ages then you would see new stuff show up.. If you are just now cycling this would be the time to add it because there will be stuff in it that will continue to decay :D However I would not recommend bleaching ... boiling water will work fine . Just be sure no chemicals were sprayed around or near it ,and make sure they did not medicate it which could cause issues :D

I don't think that it's a good idea. You don't wanna take any chances with a new tank! But still, I have no experience what so ever! :cool:

Nature :clown:

Back
Top Bottom