Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Old live rock

I have about 40 lbs. of live rock, well its not to lively but i would like to make it lively again, can someone tell how to go about this.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

By not too lively do you mean it has been out of water for an extended period of time, thereby killing all of the bacteria? I am kind of confused what you are asking about, if it has been out of water and is now essentially just rocks, then you should just treat it like non cured rock that you bought at the store.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
By not too lively do you mean it has been out of water for an extended period of time, thereby killing all of the bacteria? I am kind of confused what you are asking about, if it has been out of water and is now essentially just rocks, then you should just treat it like non cured rock that you bought at the store.
SO no getting it live again and yes out of water for about 4 mos. and no way to recure it
Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

You have to put it in a saltwater tank then keep it in there while the tank is running and introduce a live piece from ur local fish store and with time they will get the essential bacteria they need to be considered "live"
Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaguirre View Post
You have to put it in a saltwater tank then keep it in there while the tank is running and introduce a live piece from ur local fish store and with time they will get the essential bacteria they need to be considered "live"
So i can get a big tub of salt water put a heater and a piece of live rock and a power head and 10 to 15 pieces of rock in it and maybe in 30 days or so it well be come live rock again
Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yes you can do that, probably be more like 6-8 weeks just keep testing your nitrites.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
yes you can do that, probably be more like 6-8 weeks just keep testing your nitrites.

cool i have a small shed all wired up and nitrites is all i have to test for and one more thing i have a 55 gal salt i have 7 fish 1 shimp 4 crabs and all my test are good but i have a bad case if dimtoms i have been doing 20 gal wc every 4 days and on the next day its right back howdo i stop it
Old 03-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

what are your levels of Nitrates and Phosphates? If you have diatoms you have them even if you cant get a reading on them. They can take them up faster than you can test for them. You need to find the source of nitrates and phosphates. There are several threads on here about them and reducing them. I have a 55g aswell and had Nitrates at 160ppm and did 50% water changes every 2 days till they dropped to about 20 before finally getting them to 0 only to have them crep back up recently to 10ppm and they are coming back down again
Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
what are your levels of Nitrates and Phosphates? If you have diatoms you have them even if you cant get a reading on them. They can take them up faster than you can test for them. You need to find the source of nitrates and phosphates. There are several threads on here about them and reducing them. I have a 55g aswell and had Nitrates at 160ppm and did 50% water changes every 2 days till they dropped to about 20 before finally getting them to 0 only to have them crep back up recently to 10ppm and they are coming back down again
just did test for nitrates and its 0
Old 03-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ur going to have low nitrates even when u have diatoms because they actualy feed off nitrates and phosfates I had a huge diatoms problem I thought it would never go away because I had a big problem with my diatoms.. I have a 125 gallon and about 130 lbs of live rock... I have a couple questions... what lighting are u using and when did u change the bulbs last? What sea salt do u use? Did u know some sea salt believe it or not have phosfates.. what do u have for clean up crew? One of the most important things is if u use ro water or do u use tap water? I filled my tank with tap water and that was one of my bigest mistakes.. I started using ro water changed my bulbs and changed my sea salt and added a clean up crew.. so please answer those questions so I can further assist u.. hope this helps..

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com