Oldest DSB alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been reading and thinking about SSB's and DSB's for months off and on. Very interesting to think about. I know this topic has made it's rounds pretty heavily.

If you would not mind I would like to ask how many years/months any of you have had your DSB or SSB operational, and if you have a buddy that has had a DSB operational for a very long time I would really be interested to hear a little about it.

As a side note, I have been talking with the local Home Depot guy and I am calmly working towards getting a free store transfer of 43 bags of yardright white caribbean aragonite yummy beautiful oolitic sand to hoard away, so I can sit on top of the pile and cackle greedily.

I can only dream.... ahhhh.... I can see the little worm-paths against the glass through the white sand, when I close my eyes...

(As you probably figured out, I started all my tanks with CC.) :roll:

My DSB 5 years and going strong. I will post more about it tommorow; i'm going to bed now.

Probably 5-6 months since I switched from cc on my 110. You could probably make a poll out of this, or possibly have people list how deep their sand bed is. I've seen people mention DSB's from 3-8 inches. Just a thought :wink:

When telling how old your DSB is, please also add how large your bioload is. Rob Toonen has had a DSB in operation (or had) for over 15 years, but it had a very small bioload compared to most hobbyest tanks.

Those are very good points, should we redo the thread with a poll? Can we fit in 3 questions into a poll (Age of DSB, Depth of DSB, Average Bioload light, medium or heavy)

admins what do you think?

Let's just let this thread go "as is" then. :)

BTW, just got off phone with Home Depot guy, he's doing a free store transfer of 1000lbs of Yardright white caribbean play sand @6.99/50LBbag. Hooray for aragonite.

So I will pay $139.80 plus tax for all 20 bags.

I figgered I might as well stock up on the stuff as long as It was available with no shipping or transfer charge. You never know with that stuff, right? :D

I hope that was not too bad of a deal.

In that case, moderate to high bioload in a 30g, but not overstocked. 4 fish and many soft corals, fed daily. Skimmerless.

44 gallon corner tank. 1 yellow tang, (2) yellow tail blue damsels, 1 clown, 1 bicolor blennie. Small macro sump with a aqua c remora. Water changes are done when i feel like doing it and i feed very heavily. No a spot of nuisannce algae in 3 years! Corals grow like mad and fish are fat and healthy. Sand bed is 5" of argamax and southdown. I have never replaced any of the sand or added a detrivore kit.

Back
Top Bottom