OMG... im such an idiot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I changed out my carbon today and put in some new AC in my bubble diffuser box. I forgot to rinse the carbon thoroughly so when i put the box back into the tank, hundreds of tiny AC grains fell down to the LR and sandbed. Will this have any affect on my fish or inverts? I have 2 conches and 1 sandsifting starfish that eat stuff up the sand alot. Would they die if they touch this stuff? I don't really know how to remove these grains. They are tiny and there are hundreds of them. Lucky i turned off my pumps so the grains stay in the corner of the tank.

Im such an idiot... T.T

Maybe siphon them out with a small tube and hose? I don't know if it will or will not hurt anything though but i'd get it out if it doesn't belong.

i don't think that will work cuz they are heavy enuf to avoid being blown away when i turned my pumps back on. They are tiny but not extremely tiny. The size is about sand grains' size. I'll try to siphon them this weekend when i do WC anyway just to see if it works. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone know what they can do to my tank if i let them stay?

I would try to get them out of the sand, but I don't see how it will hurt anything. The only difference is that it is not contained in something. I don't know what would happen if a fish ate any however. Just my $0.02 Hopefully someone with more solid advice will come along.

I deal with activated carbon in my engineering job. It is basically a harmless (and very useful) substance. Won't hurt you or the fish. May cloud the water slightly but it will clear. The only down side is having ugly black pellets littering your substrate.

You will be fine, do not sweat it.

The primary purpose for rinsing is to remove residue that may temporarily cloud the water. If you can get it out through routine siphoning for apprearnce all the better, but it will not hurt anything in your system.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom