? on bubble coral "babies"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I got a dying bubble coral for free from my lfs about three weeks ago. The owner was going to throw it away but I was right there so he offered it to me. The tissue all around the edges has receded at least .5 inches from the edges (that's how it was when I got it). And it hasn't gotten any worse or any better since I've had it.

I've noticed about 4 little baby bubble corals, one on each end of the septa where the tissue has receded from.

My question is, can I break off the septa with the baby coral and then super glue the little baby corals to a larger rock to possibly give each a better chance of surival on their own since the main organism is obviously not healthy. I think I can break them off without affecting the tissue of the main bubble. Would this help them?

They are all very small. o <-- a little smaller then that "o"

I know Lindsay fragged a healthy bubble, hopefully she will be along to assist you.

If the septa is exposed and bare then I would go ahead and fragment each one so they can be individually tended to. Does the main colony show any signs of bacterial necrosis? If the main colony has stopped recessing there is still hope, but the new buds can be removed.

I agree that fragging may be in order, just not yet. If the coral is showing signs of growth I would just let it be for now. I see no sense in stressing an already stressed animal with the fragging process. IMHO, I would wait a couple of months and see how it does.

No the main colony doesn't show any signs of necrosis (I had a candy cane coral die from that months ago so I now know what it looks like).

It doesn't show any signs of growth, though I've only had it for 3 weeks so should there really be any signficant sign of growth? The tissue doesn't seem to be receding any further.

The tissue is so far from the edge of the septa I can break off the edge without damaging the main coral. Would it be worth a shot?

From closer inspection I can tell that some of the septa have already been chipped off. I know I didn't do it but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects especially since the tissue has receded up to an inch in some areas so it's just bare skeleton.

Back
Top Bottom