Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

one in million tang?

I posted before about my yellow tang wiping out my new shipment of zoo's. since the order was delayed because of the hurricane and a truck breakdown, I gave him the benifit of the doubt that maybe they weren't doing so hot (however half of them were open!). Well he took out my yellow stars next, which were perfectly heathly. Then when the next order of zoo's came in I watched him very closely. ALL of them were open and doing great. After a few days, he ripped out a piece and I finally moved him to another tank. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before. I still can't really believe it. Now I am scared to put another tang in my reef. Getting him out took hours and invovled reconstructing my rocks...not a task I'd like to do again. Not to mention the stress it put on the rest of my fish! Any suggestions on where to go from here? I just picked up a really really tiny yellow goby, I know he won't hurt anything. I wanted to get a naso, but I am to scared to try again. By the way, is my goby at risk of getting eaten by my maroon clown, he is awfully small?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 05:22 PM   #2

Well if the tangs aren't well fed they can eat, or nip corals. If this isn't the case your tang just wasn't the right one for your tank. If your really worried why not try a bristle tooth tang. They feed more on micro algae, and shouldn't bother the corals.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I fed them everyday, and provided algae sheets. I know thats feeding too much, but with my peppermint shrimp, nothing gets left over. It seemed to be pretty good at hogging the food from others too!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 08-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
I know thats feeding too much
Nope, actually tangs should have food (preferally algae based) during the full day. They constantly eat, and providing them with that keeps them at their best.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Our tang and flame angel get fresh nori (3 different types rotated) every morning. Our clown even takes a chuck out occaisionally. The tang is very fat and healthy.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought I was being bad because I was told that feeding to much leads to higher nitrates. Though I really have no problems with that. Like I said, nothing really gets left behind because if there are any leftovers my peps get em. My tang actually got bigger. When I got him he was real skinny, now hes looking good. My clown was the same way...he is really fat. This whole situation just baffles me. Do you know about the itty bitty goby? I don't want him to be someones lunch

Old 08-27-2004, 08:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I have yet to see a fat yellow tank at the LFS... they are usually scary thin.. Like Six-Line said, tangs are grazers... keep em' fed
Old 08-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #8

The goby would probably be fine hiding in the rock work. All in all theres no telling what the clown will or can do, it's a risk you would have to take.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. He sure is a cute lil guy!

Old 08-28-2004, 12:10 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have heard of this before, I have also heard of Hippos doing the same thing even if they are well fed it could happen. Some Tangs seem to just develope a taste for corals. I just had 3 large zoos disappear each colony had 100+ polyps on it and they were gone in 1 day.
I decided it was one of 2 fish doing this, I was watching my Hippo & another fish. It was the other fish so I moved him to another tank. But this fish has been around zoos for the past 2 1/2 years and one day POOF my zoos were gone. I feed 3-4 times a day and hang nori.

Kaye

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com