one in million tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted before about my yellow tang wiping out my new shipment of zoo's. since the order was delayed because of the hurricane and a truck breakdown, I gave him the benifit of the doubt that maybe they weren't doing so hot (however half of them were open!). Well he took out my yellow stars next, which were perfectly heathly. Then when the next order of zoo's came in I watched him very closely. ALL of them were open and doing great. After a few days, he ripped out a piece and I finally moved him to another tank. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before. I still can't really believe it. Now I am scared to put another tang in my reef. Getting him out took hours and invovled reconstructing my rocks...not a task I'd like to do again. Not to mention the stress it put on the rest of my fish! Any suggestions on where to go from here? I just picked up a really really tiny yellow goby, I know he won't hurt anything. I wanted to get a naso, but I am to scared to try again. By the way, is my goby at risk of getting eaten by my maroon clown, he is awfully small?

Well if the tangs aren't well fed they can eat, or nip corals. If this isn't the case your tang just wasn't the right one for your tank. If your really worried why not try a bristle tooth tang. They feed more on micro algae, and shouldn't bother the corals.

I fed them everyday, and provided algae sheets. I know thats feeding too much, but with my peppermint shrimp, nothing gets left over. It seemed to be pretty good at hogging the food from others too!

I know thats feeding too much

Nope, actually tangs should have food (preferally algae based) during the full day. They constantly eat, and providing them with that keeps them at their best.

Our tang and flame angel get fresh nori (3 different types rotated) every morning. Our clown even takes a chuck out occaisionally. The tang is very fat and healthy.

I thought I was being bad because I was told that feeding to much leads to higher nitrates. Though I really have no problems with that. Like I said, nothing really gets left behind because if there are any leftovers my peps get em. My tang actually got bigger. When I got him he was real skinny, now hes looking good. My clown was the same way...he is really fat. This whole situation just baffles me. Do you know about the itty bitty goby? I don't want him to be someones lunch :D

Yeah, I have yet to see a fat yellow tank at the LFS... they are usually scary thin.. Like Six-Line said, tangs are grazers... keep em' fed :)

The goby would probably be fine hiding in the rock work. All in all theres no telling what the clown will or can do, it's a risk you would have to take.

I have heard of this before, I have also heard of Hippos doing the same thing even if they are well fed it could happen. Some Tangs seem to just develope a taste for corals. I just had 3 large zoos disappear each colony had 100+ polyps on it and they were gone in 1 day.
I decided it was one of 2 fish doing this, I was watching my Hippo & another fish. It was the other fish so I moved him to another tank. But this fish has been around zoos for the past 2 1/2 years and one day POOF my zoos were gone. I feed 3-4 times a day and hang nori.

Kaye

Back
Top Bottom