Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One lone aptasia

I have one aptasia I refuse to remove....

I don't really know why other than he is off in a corner alone, and i like to see him eat. He is clearish pink so when he eats I can see everything in him. It's kinda neat.

Am I a bad reef mommy for letting him stay?

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The problem is they multiply very fast, and have a fairly powerful sting. They can overwhelm a tank fairly quickly. Especially if you plan on adding coral.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I guess it is ok if there is only one and you can see it all the time (so you know when it spreads). But if/when it starts to multiply I would get rid of it because like MT79 said they can quickly become a problem if they are not controlled.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Re: One lone aptasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatsDrool

It all depends on whether you want a whole tank full of aptisia. As mentioned above they will grow out of control and sting and harm other corals.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol i am actually considering buying a little 2.5 gal tank to keep him in....just him of course.
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why?

They are a pain in the butt. I had an outbreak when I was in Playa del Carmen and my neighbor was watching my tank. After the week and a half I came back to ~ 40 of them. Ater 2 bottles of Joe's Juice all was done. Have been pretty vigilant since then and no more outbraeks
Old 02-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatsDrool
lol i am actually considering buying a little 2.5 gal tank to keep him in....just him of course
I've saw that before. IMO each animal is interesting in it's own respect. Go for it!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to fishrfreinds
Dont play with fire. Or in this case glass .

Really just remove it from your tank. Your going to have to remove the rock that it's on, because its contaimated. And its impossible to remove it from the rock. So go ahead have your nano devoted to the pain in the butt.

I dont want to be a Advice Freak!
fishrfreinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to mnestroy
Question, I have some rock rubble in my sump with a pretty good sized aptasia on it.

How do they spread?

Should I nuke him, or is he not able to spread to the main tank?

(I figured if he CANT spread to main tank then hes prob doing some filter feeding which is good)
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How do they spread?
Every way possible! Sexually and asexually. For example any tissue that remains after you remove the anemone manually, ie. cutting or ripping, can regenerate into a new organism.
Quote:
Should I nuke him
Yes. It's probably best to nip it in the bud and be proactive. There's not much if any filtering benefits, pods will do the clean up job much better. HTH

Tags
aptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com