One shrimp becomes two shrimp...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
My friend bought me a Coral Banded Shrimp, "or closly resembling one" for my birthday, since then I have seen it dead in my tank about 4 times. Then I look closer and it seems that it's and exoskelton that has been sheed. This common behavior I assume, as the invertbrate grows they shed there outer shell to expand right? Is there anything I need to
do and should I remove the shed skin or let my emerald crabs eat it, they have in the past?

Yes, this is a very common behavior. If your emerald crabs have been taking care of it I wouldn't worry about it.

That is normal, I just leave the exoskeleton in there and it disappears after a couple of days. I have crabs too, I am thinking they just eat it when I'm not looking.

I think it's pretty weird how the shrimp can just slip out of that thing, antennae and all.

Apparently you need iodine in the tank to help them molt properly but there is some iodine in trace amounts in your synthetic salt.

I also have a fire shrimp in a different tank that I just leave the molt in there too,

I do add small amounts of necessary minerals to the tank, he seems to molt just fine and the crabs make a quick meal of the leftovers... thanks again everyone.

Regular water changes should provide all the minerals and nutrients that your tank and everything in it needs. I have never added anything to my tank and my cleaner has molted countless times. Many people would not reccommend adding anything to the tank with out testing for it first. oh yea, I just leave the "leftovers" in the tank and they are gone in a couple of days....I mostly see the shrimp messing around with it rather than my crabs...Just my 2 cents :wink:

snapcrackler said:
Apparently you need iodine in the tank to help them molt properly but there is some iodine in trace amounts in your synthetic salt.

This is a myth that has been propogated down through the years. It's close but just wrong enough to be dangerous.

Even at normal Ocean densities Iodine is toxic to many crustaceans. They have adapted a techniqure for removing the excess Iodine by storing it (and other toxins) in their exoskeleton. Once the toxins have built up to a certain amount they will molt and permanently remove them from their body.

So, if you add Iodine to your tank you will notice your shrimp molting within a few days to rid themselves of all that Iodine. I believe this is how the myth started. Unfortunately molting takes a lot of energy and if they are forced to molt prematurely too often they will die.

Shrimp do not need Iodine, please don't overdose it.

Back
Top Bottom