Originally Posted by snapcrackler
Apparently you need iodine in the tank to help them molt properly but there is some iodine in trace amounts in your synthetic salt.
This is a myth that has been propogated down through the years. It's close but just wrong enough to be dangerous.
Even at normal Ocean densities Iodine is toxic to many crustaceans. They have adapted a techniqure for removing the excess Iodine by storing it (and other toxins) in their exoskeleton. Once the toxins have built up to a certain amount they will molt and permanently remove them from their body.
So, if you add Iodine to your tank you will notice your shrimp molting within a few days to rid themselves of all that Iodine. I believe this is how the myth started. Unfortunately molting takes a lot of energy and if they are forced to molt prematurely too often they will die.
Shrimp do not need Iodine, please don't overdose it.