Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have had a Foxface for over a year. He has a heart appetitive, but he had never nibbled at any of my corals.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think I'm sold on buying one now thanks to you all like I said its not a reef just yet so I can take it all in stride. Now I'm unsure whether it will b a one spot or a black bar( thanks absolute Faye ) he's a beautiful fish lol

Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's also a Fiji which is also called a bi-color and there's a tonga black (for sale now on liveaquaria's divers den) and a magnificent foxface and a foxface lo which is what I was supposed to get but he's always had that crazy bar. Never goes away except when he's sleeping it fades slightly.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Faye's Blackbar is beautiful! I haven't seen any of those around.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starting to think you have a one of a kind fish. Been searching the Internet for a black bar fox face and nothing even close. Lots of others but none with the solid black on top. Anyone know the differance between one spot and foxface lo
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh got it
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

We had ordered a foxface lo. We had been looking for months and only found one spots. The only reason we ordered from bluezooaquatics was because they had the foxface lo. When we got him he was that half black color. But he's really cool and has a ton of personality so we love him anyway! He could just be unique or maybe a hybrid. No clue but he's never been all yellow.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Foxface Lo is an outdated name. The genus Lo has been discontinued and now isconsolodated into Siganus. The difference between "foxface" and "one spot foxface" is argued by taxonomists. Two opinions. 1) they look different so they are different species 2) they are genetically almost indistinguishable so they are the same species. Jury is still out.
That being said, there is no "blackbar" in the genus. Like many reef fish, the foxface is capable of changing color and patterning. At night, they take on an almost pure black and white mottling characteristic of US military camouflage (before the change to digital camo). When stressed, the yellow turns darker, sometimes solid black. That being said, with every fish havin it's own individual personality, it's very possible that her foxface is not stressed, but simply likes to be half black. Just to be different.
But it's not a different species or even color morph. It's either a one spot or a "normal" foxface rabbitfish.
Ps. Glancing over at my tank, my one spot is darker on top right now. Not solid black. One side is very dark yellow, the other side is dark and normal yellow striped. But only on his top half. He's also telling me it's feeding time.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very informative, thank you now my question is does any one know if they have successfully tank raised foxfaces. Knowing that my lfs will order mine for me I'm wondering if I can order it tank raised instead of wild caught. I know it's a question I can pose to my lfs and he's been nothing but awesome I like to have second opinions.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you all once again for the info. Just so happens that my lfs had eight in stock when I went today. Welcome to the family!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4151369753.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	148674  

Tags
reef, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com