One spot fox face in a reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godfrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any bad experience with a fox face in a reef? I have an 80 gal fowler that ill eventually turn reef and was wondering about them. Thanks for any info

Mines peaceful in my reef. Hasn't nip at anything but algae

They're a tempting fish and especially being a fish on the fringe!

If you keep mainly hard corals you should be ok but i think they like to go for fleshy corals and Zoa's.

They're a tempting fish and especially being a fish on the fringe!

If you keep mainly hard corals you should be ok but i think they like to go for fleshy corals and Zoa's.

That's the direction I am eventually going as soon as I upgrade lighting. Love the fox face but don't want to have problems in future. Hmmmmm

I have a black bar foxface (not a one spot) and I have all types of corals including zoas. He never touches a thing. But boy does he love his seaweed strips! My LFS has a beautiful one in their huge coral tank and they say he's great. Obviously or they wouldn't keep him in there. Here's a pic of mine!

Attachments

• image-2416319042.jpg
    image-2416319042.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 183
I have a one spot, though he has a solid black back whenever stressed. Or just feeling like a jerk. Lol
He has never touched any of my corals, which include zoas, mushrooms, Kenya tree, Duncan, bubble, euphylia, montipora and more. He has picked algae from between polyps, and off a section of monti that wasn't doing well. All in all, he's a very well behaved fish, just extremely skittish.

Unfortunately I have had 2. Neither gave any of my corals any trouble at all. Awesome fish. However, both died in relatively short periods of time for me. All of my other fish (tangs, wrasses, clowns, gobies etc) are fine.
I would get another in a heartbeat because they look awesome in the tank and are completely reef safe as far as I am concerned. Kept them with zoas, frogspawn, trumpet, shrooms, ricordea, nems, favia, plates etc

I can honestly say that I had one a few months ago that was doing great. He grazed the hell outa hair algae but when it was pretty much gone he started wrecking my zoa colonies. Luckily it took me all of 5 minutes to catch him and I brought him back to the store. The guy at the store said that was crazy as if they didn't believe me. But he gave me another to try and I think he fell prey to an emerald crab. I really like them. Maybe I'll give it one more try.

I have had a Foxface for over a year. He has a heart appetitive, but he had never nibbled at any of my corals.

I think I'm sold on buying one now thanks to you all like I said its not a reef just yet so I can take it all in stride. Now I'm unsure whether it will b a one spot or a black bar( thanks absolute Faye ) he's a beautiful fish lol

There's also a Fiji which is also called a bi-color and there's a tonga black (for sale now on liveaquaria's divers den) and a magnificent foxface and a foxface lo which is what I was supposed to get but he's always had that crazy bar. Never goes away except when he's sleeping it fades slightly.

Starting to think you have a one of a kind fish. Been searching the Internet for a black bar fox face and nothing even close. Lots of others but none with the solid black on top. Anyone know the differance between one spot and foxface lo

We had ordered a foxface lo. We had been looking for months and only found one spots. The only reason we ordered from bluezooaquatics was because they had the foxface lo. When we got him he was that half black color. But he's really cool and has a ton of personality so we love him anyway! He could just be unique or maybe a hybrid. No clue but he's never been all yellow.

Foxface Lo is an outdated name. The genus Lo has been discontinued and now isconsolodated into Siganus. The difference between "foxface" and "one spot foxface" is argued by taxonomists. Two opinions. 1) they look different so they are different species 2) they are genetically almost indistinguishable so they are the same species. Jury is still out.
That being said, there is no "blackbar" in the genus. Like many reef fish, the foxface is capable of changing color and patterning. At night, they take on an almost pure black and white mottling characteristic of US military camouflage (before the change to digital camo). When stressed, the yellow turns darker, sometimes solid black. That being said, with every fish havin it's own individual personality, it's very possible that her foxface is not stressed, but simply likes to be half black. Just to be different.
But it's not a different species or even color morph. It's either a one spot or a "normal" foxface rabbitfish.
Ps. Glancing over at my tank, my one spot is darker on top right now. Not solid black. One side is very dark yellow, the other side is dark and normal yellow striped. But only on his top half. He's also telling me it's feeding time.

Very informative, thank you now my question is does any one know if they have successfully tank raised foxfaces. Knowing that my lfs will order mine for me I'm wondering if I can order it tank raised instead of wild caught. I know it's a question I can pose to my lfs and he's been nothing but awesome I like to have second opinions.

Thank you all once again for the info. Just so happens that my lfs had eight in stock when I went today. Welcome to the family!!!

Attachments

• image-4151369753.jpg
    image-4151369753.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 188
Back
Top Bottom