One without the other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buddha_red

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just tested my tank and everything is perfect except phosphates .. No nitrates..

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 1.0

I have changed the water twice recently to clean up the tank so I cannot figure out where the phosphates would be coming from or better yet how to stop it. Water tests show no phosphates, nitrates or ammonia in my aged saltwater or my ro/di water.

I feed Aunt sally's Frozen bloodworms thawed in some tank water. I add selcon a couple times a week along with garlic extreme. I hand feed three or four tiny formula one pellets to the clown and one piece of flake to the shrimp.

The phosphates are in the tank, so whats that telling me? Am i not being aggressive enough with cleaning duties? Should i remove the sponge in my ac30?

Have you double checked your phosphates using a different test kit? (Personally... I like Salifert for phosphates.)

Agree with you that it seems that your water itself is OK. Depending on what amount of the selcon you feed, that could be your culprit. You could always make up a dilute solution of selcon and fresh SW and see how it tests for phosphates.

IME frozen foods are notorius for adding phosphates. I like to thaw mine in a cup of water and let sit. When it thaws out I pour off as much of the water as possible and then add new water and repeat the process.

I would eliminate the flake food all together. I cut the end out of a filter sock and put my frozen food in itm thaw it out in some tank water and then rinse it for several minutes with ro/di water before putting it in the tank.

You may also want to test your source water for phosphates.

I really appreciate the responses, I can use all the help i can get when it comes to feeding. I made a solution of selcon and aged SW per Kurts advice and sure enough, phosphates reached almost 2.

I think i am using selcon to much, to often, i worry about the nutritional value of bloodworms. I will try thawing and removing as much water as i can. My clown and shrimp take the formula one pellets so im wondering if thats a better idea and forget the flake as ziggy said.

Back
Top Bottom