Online purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollesandra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have found many very interesting fish online that I cannot get at my local pet store. In general, is fish purchasing online a good idea? What kind of condition do the fish arrive in? This site: http://www.saltwaterfish.com has sparked my interest. Do you think this is a good one?

I have to order most of my fish online due to very poor LFS's in my area. One thing that I personally dont do is order fish during the colder months of the year. Remember these guys are going to be shipped overnight and will be transported in unheated cargo plans so it will get quite cold and those little heat packs can only do so much. I usually dont get anything until the overnight temp is above 50*F on average for a few day period.

One downside to buying online is that you cant pick the individual fish and your buying somewhat signt unseen. Most online stores will have a warrantee that the fish will arrive alive and live for X period of time. I belive www.liveaquaria.com has the longest of these warrantee periods.

For more info about buying online please reference this article. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=24

i've heard good things about liveaquaria.com and some others. I've heard several people say they get better fish from mail order. Just call an make sure the customer service is top notch, this way you'll feel better ordering from them.

Jim

While I agree that ordering during the colder months of the year isn't a great idea, I wouldn't base that concern on the airplane. It's always cold at 35,000 feet :) My concern would be with the temperatures at the sorting facilities and on the delivery truck.

I have ordered much through liveaquaria.com and have found them wonderful. I received a shipment of crabs and snails from them with 6 dead crabs. I called them that day and the refunded the cost of those crabs. I have also ordered other stuff for my tank from them with great service. Once I received something that I didn't order and was missing something that I did order and they had me keep what they sent and then sent what was missing. Wonderful customer service.

First let me say that I am quite happy with my liveaquaria order(s). Having said that.
First order (mandarin goby, coral, feather dusters) was sent with a wrong zip code. The shipment spent the weekend in a warehouse even though I called early enough on Saturday to have it re-routed. It got here on Monday. Nothing survived.
The replacement order arrived the following Saturday and was of excellent quality. As the coral was still back-ordered I switched that to 3 hawaiian feather dusters for delivery yesterday.
At noon I checked the FedEx website to find that they showed the package as delivered, left at door. Only problem was, it was left at someone else's door. They picked it up and got it to me around 2:30 yesterday.

Again the quality is quite good. The customer service is good. But mistakes do happen.

I'll be posting some new manderin pics in a few...

I had a great experience ordering from www.saltwaterfish.com and will again.

I ordered 20 blue legged hermits, 20 scarlet hermits, 20 astrea and 2 ricordia florida (which promptly split into 3).

Had it next day by 10:30am and I am in the sticks.

I order from liveaquaria.com so much, that I am on the re-order list for supplies. What a great place to lose all your money!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom