Open brain coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmonson

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had an open brain coral for about 4 months now and it only opens when it gets fed and at night the feeder tentacles come out but other than that its all shriveled up and just skeleton. All the parameters are fine so I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any ideas why it's like this?

What params have you checked? Tank size and age? How much flow do you have on it? What lights are you using and what is the placement in the tank? Do you know what lighting it was under before you got it?

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, calcium, alk, 65gallon about a year old, I have and mp40 for flow, a 6 build aquatic life t5ho, placement is bottom middle, mp40 is about 2/3 up the glass

Lights at the fish store was a marineland reef led

Do you have the mp40 full blast? Does it look like a lot of flow is hitting the coral?

It's at a little over half and it looks like quote a no of low hitting ot

They like low flow. I would suggest moving it to an area with less.

Should I keep it on the sand bed or does it not matter I heard that should be kept on the aand

Alrighty thanks ill let you know in a few days if it is better.

I would check phosphates with a Hanna checker. If you don't have one see if you have a local fish club or lfs that has one.

Filter is a hob penguin 350 I have a hob reef octopuss bh 100 skimmer

I have had success keeping it on sand and usually on the side of the aquarium (not center). It stayed closed for a month when i first bought it and then I moved. Put new sand and new water. And then I saw a miracle. It inflated itself and colored up like I had never seen another brain coral do. I can't pinpoint to one exact thing that helped but I thought the coral was a lost cause before I moved to a new home.

But to help you out I would say try different settings on your light such as running it at a lower or higher output than you have now. Also play around with flow and see if lower/higher flow than what you have now will help.

My light is a t5ho and its not hanging so I can't do anything with that unfortunately.

I have moved it around to many places with all different amounts of flow and I can't get it to open up.

Back
Top Bottom