Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't worry, you're not the only one who talks to themselves while at work. I operate a power plant, and I'm constantly looking at numbers and stuff trying to make sure the unit stays online, but while I'm looking at the numbers, I'm scribbling stuff on post it notes and thinking bout my tank, then looking at the clock and only 5 minutes have passed cause I wanna go home but then I realize I still have 11 hours left to go LOL (am 12 hour rotating shift worker). I look at the screen for levels in various tanks at work and all I can think is I gotta remember to top off when I get home. LOL

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glad I'm not the only one - while we're on the topic of the brain however, I tried to snap a photo of what appears to be a featherduster that has made its home on the coral's skeleton - I think that may be what's really irritating it, as each time I've seen it really recessed, the little feathery lookin' bit has been extended. Not a clue how to get rid of it, however.

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I have a feather duster on my moon brain and it doesn't really seem to care to much... but it might be the issue in your case? Yank it off and put it somewhere else.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I have a feather duster on my moon brain and it doesn't really seem to care to much... but it might be the issue in your case? Yank it off and put it somewhere else.
Can you just pull the little buggers off? Never had a FD before (I'm new enough to the reef side of things that for awhile I thought that my massive aiptasia outbreak was a group of featherdusters of some kind, and I was delighted to see them.

Boy do I know better now.

So how does one move a featherduster?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got a photo of it sticking out
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just take a pair of tweezers and try to gently pull it out.

Sorry but I laughed about your aiptasia comments only because I'm pretty new at this also and am thinking the exact same thing is gonna happen to me and I won't know it. lol

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Just take a pair of tweezers and try to gently pull it out.

Sorry but I laughed about your aiptasia comments only because I'm pretty new at this also and am thinking the exact same thing is gonna happen to me and I won't know it. lol
Yep - amazing amount of stuff to learn. When I first got this tank started I remember calling the guy at my LFS freaking out because I saw what, to me, looked like a gigantic blue centipede. Now I KNEW I hadn't put the **** thing in there. Of course it was a bristle worm and it hitch hiked in on the rock...but at the time I had no idea that sort of thing could happen and it really did scare the be-jeezus outta me!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL, you should look at the beginning of my thread when I came across my first worm. Yep I freaked out too and ended up smashing the live rock and throwing it in the yard (in a milk crate so it could get out by itself which it didn't) and left it there for a week.

Now I'm trying to figure out if the 3 orange centipede looking things are good or not. They look like the fire worm that is NOT good but at the same time they don't.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't feed it. If you want to enjoy sw you are going to have to let it do its thing. Fd's happen in nature and things live. I don't even bother my aptaisia and majonos. I stopped worrying about things and it is a lot more enjoyable. Things die and come and go. Just have to stick with it. Its hard to swallow but if you relax, you will enjoy this a lot more.

Tags
open brain, tentacles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com