Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Open brain - no tentacles?

So my open brain was kinda withered all day today according to my wife, so when I got home after the lights went out I attempted to feed it with some frozen mysis (this was only the second time it was being fed here) - well, the mouth went WIDE open, however the tentacles never actually came out - so basically unless some shrimp landed directly IN the mouth, it wasn't gettin anything.

Pulled out the test kit - trates and trites are both zero, phosphates zero, ph is a touch low, but calcium is quite low (in the 240 range). Could that be causing the tentacle issue?

I'm going to do a large PWC tomorrow, and also start a kalk drip - how long will this thing survive like this, and do you think the calcium could cause the above described issue?

caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Added bonus - looks like there's a featherduster living in the rock the brain is growing on. Its tiny though - can't get anywhere near it to remove it.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wish I could help, but I do wish you luck!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I personally would not feed it. I have had my green brain coral for almost thirteen yrs now and have never fed it. I have a Purple brain for 8 yrs now and never fed it. They get all they need from the water column and lighting.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do we think that the shrinkage could be caused by the low calcium? And no, the shrinkage is not being caused by cold temperatures (ha ha)
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

240 is pretty low for calcium. How often are you doing PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mel - doing a 10 gallon change once a week. I also have not been adding any kind of supplements however - so it looks like it may be time to start working that in.

What do you folks suggest for calc - one of those "two part" deals (I have a couple of old bottles of that from the last time I gave this whole thing a whirl), or would a kalk drip be more efficient?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Those would work also Oceanic Salt mix is higher calcium which is what I use but the drawback is lower alk. Any of those you mentioned will work.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Those would work also Oceanic Salt mix is higher calcium which is what I use but the drawback is lower alk. Any of those you mentioned will work.
Alrightie. I unfortunately have some zoanthids being delivered today (internet order) - I'd normally love to get the calc straight before adding anything more, but hoping they'll do okay since my palythoa is doing fine. I'm going to be setting up whatever calcium solution my LFS suggests tonight...

Is there a benefit to a kalk drip as opposed to the 2 part, or the other way? I know that the kalk is also supposed to help with PH, which couldn't hurt, right? I'm just very nervous about over-kalking.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So. After all that, I get home today and the open brain is in its normal, floppy, open state. Went to the LFS for some advice, and with a water sample to make sure I wasn't screwing things up somehow.

Calcium? 400. Right on the button. Guess that's what happen when you use a 4 year old test kit. Dur. Bought a new one.

My theory, and the LFS guy concurs - I tried to feed it when it didn't want to eat. I kept at it for a little while and sufficiently pissed it off that it got stressed (hence the wide open gaping mouth). His advice? Stop futzing and leave the thing alone - let it do its thing. He, like several here, has said feeding is nice, but not necessary, and to do it occasionally, but only when those tentacles are out...and if it doesn't eat, don't push the issue.

So that's what I'm going to do.

I'm OCD. This is clearly not the right hobby for someone like me. I sat around at work all day today going "wow, wonder if the open brain is ok...I hope its ok, wonder if its open...hrm...that open mouth thing was creepy...I hope its ok, do you think its ok? Hey guy I'm in a meeting with, I have coral that I think might be dying, do you think it'll be okay?"

Yea. I need help.

Tags
open brain, tentacles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com