Open top tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kam

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank (48" wide with dual 24" hoods) that was previously used for freshwater fish. It's been up and running for a while with salt water fish and live rock (cycle's been done for a while).

As I am considering upgrading lighting for future corals and I have been looking at some of the coralife lighting fixtures. My question is, do most of you have open top tanks?? Does this cause any problems??

I have always had closed hoods and am struggling with the concept of "nothing to keep the fish in" as well as the kids out.

I have an open top tank. The 48 inch Coralife Aqualight wuld be great. Just use the mounting legs to keep it up a bit. removing the glass top will will provide better gas exchange between the water and the environment as well as permit better light penetration for your corals (when you get them). If yo are worried about fish jumping (which is over-stated) go to Home Depot and get some egg create from the lighting section. This will keep the fish in and allow for some of the benifits of going topless.

lando said:
The 48 inch Coralife Aqualight wuld be great. Just use the mounting legs to keep it up a bit.
I have a coalife hood.. and mine didn't come with mounting legs..I just keep it ontop of the tank..

have a coalife hood.. and mine didn't come with mounting legs..I just keep it ontop of the tank..
No problem, you can buy them seperatly for about $12 a pack

This is a light I've just been looking at, too. Do you need to add the legs, or will the light unit fit right on the tank? Or wouldn't that be OK? Shouldn't the light be close to the water?

I have the same lighting without legs with egg crate. I've got a 30 inch deep tank so I really don't want to raise the light any higher. I sit it on top of the egg crate without legs and haven't had a problem yet. It does have plexi-glass covering the bulbs which provides SOME protection.

- Skins

What is egg crate made of? Is there danger if it melting? Also, is there a reason that this light system seems so much more affordable than other (seemingly similar) systems?

dianeww said:
This is a light I've just been looking at, too. Do you need to add the legs, or will the light unit fit right on the tank? Or wouldn't that be OK? Shouldn't the light be close to the water?

I would recommend the legs. Sure you can just add the light onto the tank but since there are so many watts, you might have to worry about the tank water heating up on warmer days. And even though I use a smaller Aqualight, the mounting hinges I have are awesome. I can just bend the light back, add the supports and I'm ready for a water change. Plus it helps if i really need to get my hands in the tank, I don't have to take the enitre thing off the tank. And considering a 48" I wouldn't want to.

Back
Top Bottom