Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
Open top tank??

I have a 55 gallon tank (48" wide with dual 24" hoods) that was previously used for freshwater fish. It's been up and running for a while with salt water fish and live rock (cycle's been done for a while).

As I am considering upgrading lighting for future corals and I have been looking at some of the coralife lighting fixtures. My question is, do most of you have open top tanks?? Does this cause any problems??

I have always had closed hoods and am struggling with the concept of "nothing to keep the fish in" as well as the kids out.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an open top tank. The 48 inch Coralife Aqualight wuld be great. Just use the mounting legs to keep it up a bit. removing the glass top will will provide better gas exchange between the water and the environment as well as permit better light penetration for your corals (when you get them). If yo are worried about fish jumping (which is over-stated) go to Home Depot and get some egg create from the lighting section. This will keep the fish in and allow for some of the benifits of going topless.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
The 48 inch Coralife Aqualight wuld be great. Just use the mounting legs to keep it up a bit.
I have a coalife hood.. and mine didn't come with mounting legs..I just keep it ontop of the tank..
Old 05-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
have a coalife hood.. and mine didn't come with mounting legs..I just keep it ontop of the tank..
No problem, you can buy them seperatly for about $12 a pack
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a light I've just been looking at, too. Do you need to add the legs, or will the light unit fit right on the tank? Or wouldn't that be OK? Shouldn't the light be close to the water?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the same lighting without legs with egg crate. I've got a 30 inch deep tank so I really don't want to raise the light any higher. I sit it on top of the egg crate without legs and haven't had a problem yet. It does have plexi-glass covering the bulbs which provides SOME protection.

- Skins

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What is egg crate made of? Is there danger if it melting? Also, is there a reason that this light system seems so much more affordable than other (seemingly similar) systems?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeww
This is a light I've just been looking at, too. Do you need to add the legs, or will the light unit fit right on the tank? Or wouldn't that be OK? Shouldn't the light be close to the water?
I would recommend the legs. Sure you can just add the light onto the tank but since there are so many watts, you might have to worry about the tank water heating up on warmer days. And even though I use a smaller Aqualight, the mounting hinges I have are awesome. I can just bend the light back, add the supports and I'm ready for a water change. Plus it helps if i really need to get my hands in the tank, I don't have to take the enitre thing off the tank. And considering a 48" I wouldn't want to.

Tags
open top, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com