Opinion about 2nd QT or one bigger one...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt_Nelson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really never wanted to ask this question, but I have a bad feeling that I'm going to have to deal with this...

I've currently got (3) chromis, (1) bangaii cardinal, and (1) O. Clown in my main. Pretty much done stocking. I have a single 10g QT. Several folks told me originally this was too small, but hey... I won't need to house them all at the same time, right? :roll:

Let's just say - hypothetically - that I have an ich outbreak and want to quarantine them all and do hyposalinity. I'm thinking that rather than get a bigger QT, maybe I should just get another 10g? Any thoughts?

The three chromis just got out of the 10g QT, so I know I don't want to put more than that in there! But it seems like the clown and cardinal - since they get along great - would do OK in another 10g tank. Seems like all 5 in a 20g would be a little crowded... even for a QT.

Oh... and not that this is related to this question :roll: but I noticed three little raised white spots on my clown tonight. I just added the three chromis 10 days ago, and for the first few days the clown seemed a little agitated having to share his tank. He'd chase them away if they got too close to his corner. After a few days, he mellowed out and even swam with them. But tonight, he seemed a little fiestier than normal towards them. He's still eating fine (garlic infused mysis for dinner tonight!), isn't flashing or anything, and isn't showing any outward signs of stress... other than being more territorial than normal. Even though all my fish have spent at least 4 weeks in the QT before coming into the main, I have a bad feeling about this.

So... what do you think: (2) 10 gallon tanks or (1) 20 gallon tank to house them all while the main goes fallow... if it comes to that.

It would probably be less work maintaining one tank instead of two. I think for the fish it will not make a difference as long as the parameters are OK. Like I said you`ll have to maintain proper salinity and water parameters for two tanks.

I agree maintaining one tank versus two is much easier when it comes to a QT so I'd get the 20 gal.

I also am a huge fan of using Purigen in both my QT and main tanks to help keep water parameters perfect but it's still important that your QT is cycled or at the very least using part of your bio media from your main.

Don't forget to keep adding an nh3 source (small pinch of food every 2 day) in the main while your tank is fallow to keep your mains bacteria alive.

also keep in mind that your quarantine container does not have to be a real tank. I use rubbermaid tubs. They are cheap, hold up well and do the job nicely.

If you do not want to keep it running until you need it, put a HOB filter on your main tank that you can just move to the qtine when you need it.

If it were me, I'd purchase another 10g or rubbermaid tote/tub, as Hara suggested. I would put the chromis and banggai in one 10g and the clowns in another. A sponge filter (must seed) or hob can be used for filtration.

Thanks for the input folks. Didn't even think about the Rubbermaid tub idea... hmmm.

The main reason I'm shying away from the 20g is that if I get a 20g "high", it's 24" long. My 10g is 20" long to start with. Dimension-wise, unless I get a 20g "long", it just doesn't seem like there's that much more swimming room in there. But putting a 20 "long" (at 30" long) is somewhat of a problem in my already cramped basement.

As far as biological media goes, I've got that covered. I've got one 10g QT up and running already with a biowheel. I've got another biowheel hanging on my main tank that can be transferred to a separate 10g tank... if I go that route. And I agree with the Purigen - I used in my QT this last time when I had an ammonia issue (biowheel needed some time to "catch up") from adding the 3 chromis.

Back
Top Bottom