Opinion On Feeder Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for others opinion on feeding anemones feeder fish. I usually feed mine with a variety of raw shrimp, mysis shrimp and clams but also wanted to try some fish. I've been reading conflicting opinions on feeding freshwater feeder fish to saltwater but haven't been able to find solid evidence as to why it would be bad for them. Opinions? Would it be alright for them to eat them or should I just try out silversides. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Don't feed freshwater feeders. If you have to, feed silversides. Even with that said, if it is photosynthetic you don't need to feed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I've read that you shouldn't feed freshwater feeders but do you know why it's not recommended?
By the way I have a Carpet and a Ritteri

They have no or little nutrient value for them if I remember correctly. So they'd use more energy to digest than they'd get. Feeder fish are pretty big as well so it'd be stressful.

Well I've read that you shouldn't feed freshwater feeders but do you know why it's not recommended?
By the way I have a Carpet and a Ritteri

The reason is because feeder fish are not raised in the most pristine conditions and may ( I stress the word MAY) carry diseases that can effect saltwater fish. That said, if you are raising your own feeder fish, you will know the conditions of the fish that are being fed which greatly reduces the worry.
I agree with Sniper that if you don't want to raise your own, Silversides are a good replacement.
As for not needing to feed them at all due to their algal partners, this is incorrect. They need both sources of food depending on the types. Carpets ( depending the type of carpet) are meat eaters and predators so you should be feeding them meats as well as having the proper lighting for the zooxanthellae to survive.
Here's an article that may help explain the feeding part: The Carpet Anemones | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

(y)

I use live saltwater feeders both fish and shrimp , I try to know where there from , but I feed them to my fish ,
there is no reason to feed a nem live fish feeders there hard to digest due to all the scales and bones . all they need is good lighting and feed off what ever small food partials in the water column. if you insist on feeding a nem feed them small pieces of clean frozen shrimp .
no one feeds the nem in the wild and they do fine , I read a article a couple of years ago claiming nems that are fed can die if over fed as there digestive system is very slow

Last edited:
I use live saltwater feeders both fish and shrimp , I try to know where there from , but I feed them to my fish ,
there is no reason to feed a nem live fish feeders there hard to digest due to all the scales and bones . all they need is good lighting and feed off what ever small food partials in the water column. if you insist on feeding a nem feed them small pieces of clean frozen shrimp .
no one feeds the nem in the wild and they do fine , I read a article a couple of years ago claiming nems that are fed can die if over fed as there digestive system is very slow

I'm not familiar with the article you are talking about but someone DOES feed anemones in the wild. Clownfish & Damsels! Also, if it's not a clown hosting type of anemone, there are shrimps and crabs that live within the tentacles that feed their hosts. Some anemones are very predatory ( as stated in the article in my previous post) and their ability to digest scales and bones can be seen in the brown blob they excrete after doing so. :blink: In a recent episode of "North America" about coastlines, there was a scene of a field of cauliflower anemones off the California coast eating a Lion's Mane jellyfish, tentacles and all. But the real bottom line is that you can't compare the nutritional value of what's in the water column in the ocean to what's floating around in an aquarium. Supplimental feeding in a tank helps make up the difference. (y)

I feed them clams about once a month, never had an issue. There are no hosting fish in the tank at this time but thought about adding a few soon. In light of the issue of digestion I would like to put forth that the Carpet ate a Sailfin Tang (tragic accident) when it was younger without an issue of bones or scales.

My carpet spits out snail shells all the time without issue, just think there is more nutrition there than a feeder fish...at least on my area I guess?

You can't really go wrong with silversides, but feeder fish could go wrong quickly. I vote for the silversides, maybe some coarsely cut clam or white fish.

Back
Top Bottom