Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
At my lfs they had a clown tang that I was interested in and I noticed ich, I asked if it was in a QT and he said no all 40 tanks were connected to one sump that used a uv steriliser and that it kills the parasite in the water. I read that they hatch from the sand until finding a host. so I'm now put off from buying from them, is it a risk buying from them? And is a uv steriliser 100% affective in this situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't ever buy a sick fish. This said, I don't have a hospital tank to do anything about it.
That aside, clown tangs can be terrors. Are you sure this a fish you want to try to keep?

Honestly, you might as well assume every single fish in a lfs has ich. Especially when they are connected to a central sump. I wouldnt buy a sick fish, but ich doesn't worry me as far as sickness goes. Its not terribly dangerous to fish and is easy to treat. Just qt and treat properly and it will be fine.

I would not buy a sick fish either. I have heard that if UV is set up correctly for the amount of water in a system and the system is set up correctly (good flow, bare bottom, no rock/decorations), it can work well. I'm betting most LFS don't do it right though. You could QT and treat, but I'd rather start off with a healthy fish.

I also agree that Clown Tangs can be terrors. I would only consider one in a large tank with fairly tough tankmates.

The few clown tangs I have kept have been 100% evil. They would bully much larger fish to the brink of death. In a coral packed reef this is extremely upsetting. They are relentless. I can see the draw though, as I feel they are one of the most beautiful tangs available. I would not try one in my 300. I finally was able to catch the last one I tried and offered him for sale. A guy came out that had a FOWLR predator tank and felt as soon as he saw it that it would surely be killed in his tank due to it's size. He called me a few days later to tell me it was relentlessly attacking all of his predators...lol.
All fish come from the same hand full of suppliers and 99% of the LFS's out there do not quarantine anything. Most stores lower their salinity to keep parasites at bay also, so a seemingly parasite free fish may change shortly after you get it home.
If I had a quarantine in place, and the price was right, I would try a fish showing signs of ich.

Okay thanks. Once I noticed the ich I was put off, it's just easier to buy a healthy fish. So am I safe from buying from that lfs? Considering there whole system could potentially be infected I don't trust the guys word that a uv steriliser is there cure. Each holding tank has sand and rocks, to be honest I think I will pass on the lfs. Shame as they have a really good selection and reasonable prices.

The clown tang is a no no then :( I was trying to get a tang that is stunning, hardy, affordable and grow no bigger than 38cm, ideas? Cheers

Sent from my SM-T230 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Everyone's (lfs) systems have ich in them at some point. I would still buy from them if it was a decent price. How about the Atlantic Blue? Nice looking fish.

I have a clown tang I rescued (two years ago). He is almost impossible to keep with any other fish. I highly recommend you don't buy him unless it's a rescue such as mine. They are picky eaters and VERY aggressive and active. A small tank will almost guarantee a ick outbreak eventually no matter the precautions you take at home. JMO

Try a Kole Tang?

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425337953.084919.jpg

Bozo was only 1" when I got him. Even at that size he could beat up fish twice his size. He now lives with a 4" fox face. He's about 3" long and beautiful. But holy Moses he's mean.

Such a shame, I had been looking for the right fish and right time to get a clown tang, he would dominate my tank as it's a reef and all my fish are placid, cheers for your input and I'm glad I didn't make a huge mistake

Sent from my SM-T230 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just at the LFS and they had 3 awesome clown tangs, I wanted one but then remembered this thread. Thought I'd come back and see if you were all talking about clowns...lol Glad I didn't buy one...

Back
Top Bottom