Opinions on HOB Refugiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bax71

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is your opinions on the HOB Refugiums? Are they worth it or not for 20 gal. long tanks

If used correctly and big enough in ratio to the main tank then they're not going to do any harm. Should help reduce nitrates and phosphates and provide lots of critters to feed your fish.

Was think of use it for the main filter for the 20L . Was looking to get the large 24" x 4" x 9" would that do the job ??

Your main filter would be your live rock. :)

A refugium cant hurt at all and can only help. I didnt see much of a difference when I had mine up but your results may vary.

HOB refugiums are a real asset if you want a mandarin in that small of a tank or any one other fish that eats mostly pods. As far as nutrients exportation it can't hurt but won't really do a whole lot.

I made my own for about $75. It works great and is my only filtration on my 29. I had a HOB filter but was sick of a bad filter that also have me salt creep, micro bubbles and a lot of noise. I used acrylic from Home Depot and a small pump and light from my LFS. Here is a pic

image-1122236743.jpg

What is the size of the HOB . what size pump did you use. I was thinking of doing a DIY hob filter to .

It is about 3 gallons, the pump I used is this. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-micraplus-pump-158-gph.html

It works really well, I would recommend over sizing your return just in case, I haven't had issues but I can't run my pump at full flow. I would say you want 1" PVC. I also just made my own bulkheads by drilling out threaded PVC caps and threading them into the elbows, I haven't had any issues. Here is another picture of it right after I built it.

image-1119560442.jpg

The stuff I got is called ambroid pro weld. It is an acrylic cement, it fuses the acrylic so the joint is as strong as the solid pieces. It is the only way to go with acrylic, I got it at a hobby shop.

That's a great looking HOB. I'm gonna have to reconsider one for the back of my 20...

Thanks. As for the thickness, I used 1/8" but I kinda wish I went with the 1/4" because it bows out a bit. I'm sure it is strong enough but would rather be 100% sure.

That is what I was thinking . To use 1/4 " . So it would not bow on me.. I was thinking to make it 24" L x 5" W x 9" T . What do you think

Sounds like it should work. I made mine as big as i could with the sheet of acrylic I bought. It turned out to be around 12" by 12" by 4.5".

It is about 3 gallons, the pump I used is this. Sicce MICRAPLUS Pump (158 GPH) - Bulk Reef Supply

It works really well, I would recommend over sizing your return just in case, I haven't had issues but I can't run my pump at full flow. I would say you want 1" PVC. I also just made my own bulkheads by drilling out threaded PVC caps and threading them into the elbows, I haven't had any issues. Here is another picture of it right after I built it.

View attachment 189473

Why are your intake and return on the same side of the box? Shouldn't they be on opposite sides to ensure enough water flow through everything (since you have a filter pad in there)?

It look like his intake pump is in the tank. From the 1/2 hose on the filter pad side .

Back
Top Bottom