opionions on and care for flower pot coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my gf and i must admit myself both fell in love with a beautiful flower pot coral at my lfs. its very large and only 50 for the whole thing, great deal. my question is if kept at the top of my BC14 with stocklighting, would it survive? also what (if any) special care does it require?

The common name flower pot coral most often refers to goniopora or alveopora family of corals. They have long been considered a difficult species to keep but if you do a little research and are willing to provide them with a little special care I think it would not be much of a stretch for the average reef keeper to care for them. Here is a very informative article on goniopora that will detail their specific care requirements for you and help you identify which species you are looking at purchasing.

Feature Article: The Successful Aquarium Culture of Goniopora Species | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

I personally love these coral and hope to keep one in my next tank. Let us know if you end up getting it.

if you can find a tank raised specimen, you'll be ahead of the game. wild collected pieces don't fare well.

thanks for the link, im sure thatll help tons. hopefully i can keep it and ill be sure to ask if its tank raised

Back
Top Bottom