Optimum temp & salinity for our fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as your daughter trusting the LFS guy, I would say as long as he/she was giving good advice for the tank, she should continue asking him questions and for advice. But so far it sounds like his advice might be a little off. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that he is giving her the wrong info just so she will buy more product from him, although I have seen that be the case in alot of situations. He/she just might not know the right info, or they think the info they know is the right stuff. I used to trust my LFS until I found out that I got burned with bogus sales and info. Now I don't ask them any questions at all, I get all my advice from this forum and have never once been given bad info. The people on this site are very friendly and EXTREMELY knowledgeable. As was suggested by Kevin earlier, I would invite her to browse this site and see what she thinks! :D

I've had my saltwater 150 Gallon FO tank for one year with the following perameters 79 Deg, 1.019 Salinity, 8.0 PH & all my fish are happy. I curently have in my tank 1 Powder Blue Tang, 2 Yellow Hawaiian tang, 1 Purple Tang, 1 Sailfin Tang, 1 Greenbird Wrasse, 1 Humu Trigger, 1 Watchman Goby, 1 Snowflake Eel & about 9-3 stripe damsels. 8)

1.019 Salinity

I would recommend raising your SG slightly (and slowly) to around 1.023-1.025. The lowered salinity is very stressful on your fishes kidneys, while you may never notice the fish is stressed (as it will show no outward signs) the continual stress takes it's toll... the damage is being done. The difference in a low or natural salinity might be that your fish dies several years before it should (of kidney failure) rather than obvious disease and parasitic infestation.

Back
Top Bottom