ORA Green Birdsnest Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDracor

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought I would share my experience with this beautiful coral.
The Green Birdsnest Coral, Seriatopora guttatus, is characterized by irregular, delicate branches that are thin and come to a slight point, and has neon green polyps that extend far enough to give it a fuzzy look.
According to Live Aquaria, it requires high lighting and irregular flow.

I purchased mine on impulse, doing very little research, from my phone, while staring at the frag. Here is a picture of the frag, freshly placed, on Januray 16, 2012.
38183-albums3039-picture35486.jpg

I was never very sure if I wanted to keep it there or if I would move it later, so I didn't secure it, simply wedged it into a hole in the rock.
It grows gradually enough that I only really noticed how different it looks a few days ago. This picture was taken on March 27, 2012.
38183-albums3039-picture35488.jpg
(For some reason, it uploaded upside down. I can't seem to fix it).
Though I am sure it would do better under higher lighting, this growth was under 108 watts of T5 HO, about 6 inches below the surface, with the lights about 3 inches above that.
Having watched this coral grow as quickly as my Montipora Capricornis, I am comfortable saying that it can do well under lower lighting than many other SPS corals. I intend to increase my lighting before purchasing any others, though.

Back
Top Bottom