Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

ORA Mandarin

Has anyone purchased one? Have you had any luck with it, and how much did it set you back. I am very interested in getting one, but I am still researching them. I plan on seeing if my LFS can even get them.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21
Has anyone purchased one? Have you had any luck with it, and how much did it set you back. I am very interested in getting one, but I am still researching them. I plan on seeing if my LFS can even get them.
I got a male an female they do great but better make sure u got ample pods or they will not make it

Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is why I want an ORA tank raised, they will eat prepared. I have only seen a few stores with them though and that was months ago. ORA released them about six months ago. I don't personally know anyone that bought one, so I was wondering if anyone on here had gotten one, and how well it was doing in their system.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't gotten one since I've always had great luck with the wild ones which are cheaper but my LFS has had them in quite a few times. He has one now that's been there for at least a month and it's eating well every time i see it. They must be doing good since he keeps ordering them in at the store.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadime69 View Post
I got a male an female they do great but better make sure u got ample pods or they will not make it
What size tank & sump do you have and how long has it been established? How do you make sure there are ample pods? I would love to get a manderin in the future and want to make sure they're set by preparing now.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't remember what site it was, but on another forum all I kept seeing was people saying their ORA mandarins were in fact not eating prepared foods.. Can't say whether it's true or not, but it's at least something to look into. It'd be a shame to get one, and turn out that it won't eat.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I have read a few horror stories as well as success stories, I was just wondering if anyone on this board has actually owned one and if so how it faired, I don't want to buy one if all I am doing is sentencing it to death. Youtube has some videos of ORA mandarins eating prepared frozen and pellet foods.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out Welcome to Saltwaterfish.com - Reef Fish, Marine Fish, Coral, Aquarium Supplies & more

But yes, what about your tank setup? You should have an large pod supply to supplement.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That is one beautiful fish. How are pods introduced into the aquariu7m to begin with? I know it comes from mature tanks....but other than that I have no idea....
Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carey- They come on LR, hitchiker essentially, if you see little white/clear "bug" like things crawling on your rock and glass, then you most likely have pods

Pat- A 75 with about that many lbs of rock with a decent sized sump should be good

And from what I've looked at they are not cheap, like around $100. And like you stated there are some that just don't stick to the prepared, if it were me, I'd just make sure I have a large enough tank to support it so if it doesn't eat prepared it'll be fine

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com