Orange encrusting sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockster2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Over the last year, the underside of most of the live rock in my tank has become encrusted with a soft orange sponge. I generally think it's harmless and helps to keep the live rock formations in place but wonder if I should be trying to prune it or if there are any downsides to having it. It doesn't seem to be a threat to any of the corals as it remains in the shadows. Thoughts anyone? Attached are a couple pictures of the sponge. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418615392.508596.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418615424.069286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your lucky to have it. It's very nice. As said it will stay in the shadows. Just curious, do you use a filter feeder food for your corals?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418617447.563359.jpg
I saw orange sponge on most dives under overhangs. This gigantic one has polyps embedded in it.

I have half a dozen of rocks covered in Yellow, grows slow, does seem to bother anything, some of mine grows out under the bright lights

Thanks for all of the replies. Greg, I typically feed the corals once or twice a week with phytoplankton or zooplankton.

Back
Top Bottom